Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth: Shipping company advice needed!!

Options
  • 15-12-2012 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere :)

Myself and husband are moving to Perth from Dublin end of january. We need advice on a reliable, not too expensive, safe shipping/moving company.

Points of interest:
    #We only have enough furniture to fill a box room. Eg. Queen bed, TV, 3 bikes, loads of clothes and linen, dishes, small appliances (kettle, toaster, coffee machine), computer etc.

#We will be staying in serviced apartment for first month until we find somewhere to rent, so our stuff will need to be stored somewhere, though it would be good if we could have access to it.

#A company that helps with actual packing and supplies materials would be great

Thanks for any advice / experience you may have with this - I have a fear that time is running out so we need to start booking this asap!
    :cool:
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

batmang wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere :)

Myself and husband are moving to Perth from Dublin end of january. We need advice on a reliable, not too expensive, safe shipping/moving company.

Points of interest:
    #We only have enough furniture to fill a box room. Eg. Queen bed, TV, 3 bikes, loads of clothes and linen, dishes, small appliances (kettle, toaster, coffee machine), computer etc.

#We will be staying in serviced apartment for first month until we find somewhere to rent, so our stuff will need to be stored somewhere, though it would be good if we could have access to it.

#A company that helps with actual packing and supplies materials would be great

Thanks for any advice / experience you may have with this - I have a fear that time is running out so we need to start booking this asap!
    :cool:
    Cheers
    Hi

We moved to perth in October. We used Oz shipping . Excellent and professional service. €1100 door to door. Included insurance. Just got a call yesterday that our boxes been delivered tomorrow by agent in Fremantle, WA.

Irish company details are:

Oz shipping.com

Paul Regan

Minimum 2 boxes €250

12 boxes €875

We picked up our own boxes but they can provide boxes, bubble wrap and tape. Max weight of 35kg per box.

Not sure they will take the bed however.

We sent tv and hi Fi as well

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 batmang

Thanks leon, that sounds great I will look into them. Only thing is we have stuff too big for a box as well! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

Hi again, Do you really need to bring the Queen bed. Furniture can be picked up fairly cheaply on Gumtree here. Bikes as well. Please note it will take at least 2 months for your stuff to get here so you may not need to store it. If you stay for one month in a serviced apartment, then you may have a house got by the time your shipment arrives. That's the way we done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

I agree with Leon. Unless your stuff is ridiculously high quality and/or holds sentimental value I'd ditch it and worry about it when you get over here. You'll pick up everything you need for a lot less hasal when you need it.

For it what it's worth I rented a 20ft container and had it shipped with AA Economy Freight. They're based out in Santry, which is where the container gets packed and they're very professional. Cost was €2750.

Thanks guys, the bed was a wedding present but you are right - it may not be necessary to hold onto - agh its so hard deciding what to bring/ditch!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

batmang wrote: »
    Thanks guys, the bed was a wedding present but you are right - it may not be necessary to hold onto - agh its so hard deciding what to bring/ditch!

:)

Bring as much stuff as you can, evrything you bring means you dont have to buy it out here. We didnt bring beds or suites of furniture, but most of our stuff ewas getting old anyhow, but we did bring 25 boxes of bedlinen, towels, clothes, toys, ps3, xbox, games, cutlery, delph, kitchen utensils, saucepans, frying pans, books, pictures, etc. We also brought 4 tv's, 2 bicycles, a guitar and a trampoline. In all fairnes it was some bust of stuff and maybe some of it could of been left behind but we got all that shipped for €1700+$200 quarantine fee and that included insurance and was door to door, they supplied all the packaging and a few lads to pack it. took about 8/9 weeks for it to arrive and was a very professional service all round. If I have any fault with them it is the price but no matter how good a deal I would get I would allways complain:D, but they were the cheapest by a long shot. Iam giving them 9 and a half thumbs up.
    this is the crowd here www.careline.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

We got quotes from the following:

Nat Ross
    AMC Removals
    Careline (see above)

Nat Ross were considerably cheaper than the rest but that was to Brisbane. I would get a quote off them all to be honest.

Play them off each other aswell to get them to lower the quotes :D

By the way we havent gone yet so I cant comment on the service.

You can also ship packages with An Post for €60 or (65 insured) for up to 20 KG box. There are limitations on the dimensional weight in other words you cant ship a pallet full of pillows that is 20kg.

Here are the size limitations for a parcel...

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/What+Are+You+Sending+Details.htm#parcel

The reason this is handy is that you can ship your smaller stuff and it will arrive in somewhere between 4-8 working days which means your not waiting on stuff for months in the container.

We are going with a container for the bigger stuff and An post for the smaller essentials...like the Xbox :-)

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Bring as much stuff as you can, evrything you bring means you dont have to buy it out here. We didnt bring beds or suites of furniture, but most of our stuff ewas getting old anyhow, but we did bring 25 boxes of bedlinen, towels, clothes, toys, ps3, xbox, games, cutlery, delph, kitchen utensils, saucepans, frying pans, books, pictures, etc. We also brought 4 tv's, 2 bicycles, a guitar and a trampoline. In all fairnes it was some bust of stuff and maybe some of it could of been left behind but we got all that shipped for €1700+$200 quarantine fee and that included insurance and was door to door, they supplied all the packaging and a few lads to pack it. took about 8/9 weeks for it to arrive and was a very professional service all round. If I have any fault with them it is the price but no matter how good a deal I would get I would allways complain:D, but they were the cheapest by a long shot. Iam giving them 9 and a half thumbs up.
    this is the crowd here www.careline.ie

Thanks for this -we are currently talking with them now!

Advertisement