Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im sure this is asked nonstop but any advice for a complete beginner?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey all, first time poster in here I think. Essentially, like a lot of people I'm sure, I've always wanted to write something. I dont really mind about its length or quality, I've just always had the urge to get something down on paper, because I think I might have a good mind for it.

Anyways, long story short, I've set myself the task of writing a short story over Christmas, but this is a completely untrodden path for me, I've never taken any classes or the like, so I was wondering if you good people might have some hints, tips, tricks, or advice for starting?

Much appreciated! Hopefully, if I can something half decent down I would love to become a part of the community here and see what people thought of it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Just write.

Turn off the tv and disable the internet, and then start writing. Give yourself an hour in which you do nothing except put words on the screen. Remind yourself that they don't have to be good words, they just have to be on the screen (or paper if you prefer).

Any rubbish can be improved with a bit of ruthless editing, but you can't edit a blank page.

The trick with a short story is to think of it as a snapshot in time. It's the point where something changes. There is life before and life after, but you are only concerned with the pivotal point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Much appreciated Eileen, I knew exactly what you meant and put it to use. I've written a bit of a prologue, and the start of a second "chapter". Its somewhat messy, as it was written in one sitting, and I'm not 100% what direction I'm taking the story yet, but I was wondering do boardsies commonly put their stuff up here to be read or is more about questions and discussions?

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Some put them up on the open forum, some put them in a closed group "Write club" for critique.

Write your whole story out, don't stop to edit. You can do that at the end. When you've got the whole thing done, read it over at one sitting, and see how it strikes you. Then start editing. At that point, you couple put it up for comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

I always start with one sentence and expand until I have a summary eg: Dec 21st, guy walks into a bar swinging a lantern - why a lantern? Coz it's dark. Aren't there any lights in the bar? No, the power's gone. Why has the power gone? Were the Mayans correct? Nah, but the authorities pulled the plug anyway just in case. Now they've decided to ration the lecky supply, and enforce draconian laws, break'em and you lose your lecky allowance. Ah, so the world sort of kind of did end as we know it! So who's the guy with the lantern? An enforcer? No, he's one of those 'off grid' types. He doesn't need the govt or the power. Is that why there's a posse (cringe) on his tail?......and so on!

Then I keep pummeling away at the mála until I get a story with a beginning, a climax and an end, not stopping until I reach said end. Then I take a week off before I start going through it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

EileenG wrote: »
    Any rubbish can be improved with a bit of ruthless editing, but you can't edit a blank page.

That's a great way to put it. I think I'll get that on a banner somewhere I can see it every day! Might get me back into the swing of writing more often again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Danpad wrote: »
    I always start with one sentence and expand until I have a summary . . .

. . . Then I keep pummeling away at the mála until I get a story with a beginning, a climax and an end, not stopping until I reach said end. Then I take a week off before I start going through it.

If I knew how a story was going to end, I wouldn't write it - I already know the ending.

I just begin with a subject, or a tune, or an observation about something or other. The story is the journey that I take before the reader takes it.*

But then again, I may have only an ending in mind, but the beginning is like throwing a dart at a board - OK, I'm starting here, I guess. Then the journey to the bullseye takes me on a different flight, and I try to score a triple 7 in another place, which is the same thing as not having an ending, really. The ending is malleable.

*[or you could do as I do - live writing and posting - what you just wrote is now cast in amber - it's Writing Improv' with instant feedback.]

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

OP, I'm sure once you find the inspiration and sit down, putting pen to paper or finger to key pad you'll find your way. There are some helpful people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snakey1989

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey all, first time poster in here I think. Essentially, like a lot of people I'm sure, I've always wanted to write something. I dont really mind about its length or quality, I've just always had the urge to get something down on paper, because I think I might have a good mind for it.

Anyways, long story short, I've set myself the task of writing a short story over Christmas, but this is a completely untrodden path for me, I've never taken any classes or the like, so I was wondering if you good people might have some hints, tips, tricks, or advice for starting?

Much appreciated! Hopefully, if I can something half decent down I would love to become a part of the community here and see what people thought of it.

Cheers!

hey pal.

Now i didnt read any of the replies but I will say this.

when I started writing novels 2 years ago I was a comeplete dunce when it came to using my imagination. As a child I was incredibly creative with my Lego and back then I had speech and writing problems so in a sense its probably one of the reasons i thuroughly enjoy english in its entirety today.

heres my advice:
    -Find something your interested in, especially stough liek the paranormal or superrnatural or magic related. You know stuff like that.

-Think of a few movies related to the topic you chose, cartoons is well and combine the lot. Dont worry about planning a story out.

-Let it come to you, dont force it. I always wrote when I felt the need to and only then. At least thats what I did at first.

-Now I can sit down and write on something new any time of the day or night.

There my few, simple yet effective ways to becoming more in touch with your creativity and your imagination more importantly.

Now keep this in mind. One of my favorite authors is 'Christopher Pike', he put up a long post about publishing a book.

In that post he talked about whats a good book and how to write it. He talked about how to write a great book and why you shouldnt at first.

What im trying to say is and this was a mistake I made at first. If you aimt too high with your first book lets say, it'll turn out worse then you anticipated. So aim to write a good a book, go with the flow.

Anyway hope these few words help. PM me if you want to talk further ok.

Advertisement