Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Blood

Options
  • 15-12-2012 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm starting to feel really guilty about not giving blood, but I'm terrified of needles, not the pain just the thought of a needle being in my arm drawing blood...

I was in Hospital recently and they ran blood tests on me, now they drew 3 veils of blood, so my question is how much do each of those veils hold...

I'm only asking so I can ascertain how much blood i'll be able to give, as during the extraction of blood in the hospital, the consultant had to ask me 5 times was I ok...I was shaking like a leaf and my legs were going 90...

I know I'm a big girl's dress

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Each vial contains between 2.4 and 7.5 mls of blood depending on what it's for . In real terms the amount taken is minuscule . Try not to worry about it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm only asking so I can ascertain how much blood i'll be able to give, as during the extraction of blood in the hospital, the consultant had to ask me 5 times was I ok...I was shaking like a leaf and my legs were going 90...

I know I'm a big girl's dress

Cheers in advance

Wait wait wait.....

........the consultant took your blood ????? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

don't they take a pint?? a full pint of blood....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

don't they take a pint?? a full pint of blood....

A bleeding pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

RobFowl wrote: »
    Each vial contains between 2.4 and 7.5 mls of blood depending on what it's for . In real terms the amount taken is minuscule . Try not to worry about it ...

I'm not worried about the amount taken by the doc, I'm just trying to figure out how much it was. So I could work out how I'd be donating blood, if I was in a state after and during 23mls of blood I'll be unable for 562mls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Well,i give blood regularly and sometimes you see people having to lie down afterwards but it passes. They will also test you for iron levels beforehand and you have to be reasonably healthy and not too skinny either.
    It may be just a mental thing with you rather than it being a physical thing?
    I don't know. A lot of people get nervous about it but seriously,it doesn't hurt and they won't take blood from anyone if they are physically not fit to donate.
    Go for it,it's really not bad at all.:)
    edit: But to answer your question,it is about a pint they take per donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Don't worry about the actual amount of blood being taken. All you need to do is look the other way the whole time, from before they insert the needle until it's all done. They're not going to be taking enough to endanger your health or anything. I can see how looking at your blood going into a big bag could probably freak you out a little ... so, just look the other way!

The needle will be in your arm for fifteen minutes or less, but you shouldn't really be conscious of it. The only bits you can really feel it there are when they're putting it in and when they're taking it out. It's not like getting samples of blood taken, when you can feel movement as they change the vials. When donating, while you're lying there for the duration, you don't really feel anything.

To distract yourself, you could maybe listen to music or something? Not sure if they allow that, though. The time goes by very quickly, anyways. If it's your first time and you're nervous, the nurse will probably stay and chat to you for a lot of it.

Most people will end up having to give blood samples at various points in their lives, so it's a fear best faced up to sooner rather than later. And of course, if you ever end up needing a transfusion for whatever reason, you'll need to get over the fear of needles, too. I guess donating blood is a good way to face up to this fear, where you're choosing to donate, rather than giving samples as a medical necessity.

You'd need to be in a good state of mind and as mentally prepared as possible for the donation, though. No point in going in if you're going to completely freak out and make the nurses' jobs a lot more difficult for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Studies now suggest it's less painful if you look straight at the needle going in rather than looking away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Studies now suggest it's less painful if you look straight at the needle going in rather than looking away.

I don't suffer pain, its just I get really anxious and feel very unwell, that was just after 21mls...I don't think I'd be able to do 562 mls
    Don't worry about the actual amount of blood being taken. All you need to do is look the other way the whole time, from before they insert the needle until it's all done. They're not going to be taking enough to endanger your health or anything. I can see how looking at your blood going into a big bag could probably freak you out a little ... so, just look the other way!

The needle will be in your arm for fifteen minutes or less, but you shouldn't really be conscious of it. The only bits you can really feel it there are when they're putting it in and when they're taking it out. It's not like getting samples of blood taken, when you can feel movement as they change the vials. When donating, while you're lying there for the duration, you don't really feel anything.

To distract yourself, you could maybe listen to music or something? Not sure if they allow that, though. The time goes by very quickly, anyways. If it's your first time and you're nervous, the nurse will probably stay and chat to you for a lot of it.

Most people will end up having to give blood samples at various points in their lives, so it's a fear best faced up to sooner rather than later. And of course, if you ever end up needing a transfusion for whatever reason, you'll need to get over the fear of needles, too. I guess donating blood is a good way to face up to this fear, where you're choosing to donate, rather than giving samples as a medical necessity.

You'd need to be in a good state of mind and as mentally prepared as possible for the donation, though. No point in going in if you're going to completely freak out and make the nurses' jobs a lot more difficult for them!

I've given blood for tests, and as already stated I gave roughly 21mls, and I was barely able to servive that, I don't think I'd be able to give anywhere near 562mls...without passing out of course...

Even the thought of an needle makes me feel unwell and gives me weak legs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't suffer pain, its just I get really anxious and feel very unwell, that was just after 21mls...I don't think I'd be able to do 562 mls

I've given blood for tests, and as already stated I gave roughly 21mls, and I was barely able to servive that, I don't think I'd be able to give anywhere near 562mls...without passing out of course...

Even the thought of an needle makes me feel unwell and gives me weak legs

Don't give blood then,one pint ain't gonna matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You may find that you're one of the many people who can't give blood for a number of reasons.
    I got all psyched up to do it a few years ago, only to fall at the introductory questions. Bah.

Advertisement