Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook air hd recovery

Options
  • 15-12-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi I have an early 2008 mac air and the screen has just died on it. I need my files from it ASAP so what would be the best way to do it?
    Take out hd and put it in a hd holder and connect it up to another pc.. What would be suitable for this as I dont know what size hd it has
    Or
    Connect it up to external monitor, again what would I need as this model mac only has USB and FireWire port. Please need your help soon guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭jimmyjoe951

Any ideas really stuck here

Would this work?
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ie/viewitem?itemId=170772856152
    I always thought that the port was a FireWire 800? It's early 2008 I think.

Always any links for something the hd would slot into?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure it's early 2008? Because if it's late 2008 then that's Mini DisplayPort not a micro dvi port.

Yep defo early 2008. That link for the hd case you posted doesn't work..?

It may actually be a graphics card issue, if so any ideas what I could do? If I gave it into a computer shop would they defo be able to retrieve the data???

• Advertisement

From what I've googled it looks like theres no holder for this 1.8" hd!! Any ideas guys I really need my data going to have a breakdown here:L haha

No ideas guys ??!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I'd say you;ll need to bring it into an apple store to get them to recover your data

Don't have that option no apple stores in Ireland . Aww I'm really pulling my hair out over this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Don't have that option no apple stores in Ireland . Aww I'm really pulling my hair out over this
    There's no apple stores, but there are apple resellers and approved service providers.

https://locate.apple.com/ie/en/

• Advertisement

Is that really my only option? Final thing I could think of is , I can kind of see the screen on the mac, barely it's defo a gpu issue, but I can get to the desktop. Is there anyway I could plug it in with USB to another pc and bring it up as a hd?? Keep in Mind I wont be able to go past the desktop it would be impossible to see what I'm clicking on so I can't change any settings on the mac

Hi was just wondering, the gpu on my air has gone and there is no hd enclosures for the particular hd that is in it so I can't take it out and use it as an external hd.
    So basically I'm stuck and really need my data, would give an arm and a leg at this point, is it possible to connect it with USB to another mac or pc and it just show up straight away on the other pc??

Need one of these and can't find them anywhere . It allows you to put the hd from the early 2008 MacBook air and use it as an external hardrive ....
    If someone can find me one and puts up a link to buy one in Europe , I will send them 2€ by PayPal hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that...

You might be able to access your files across a local network, if you can identify the IP of the mac and connect to it. I'm not sure if it needs to be logged in before it'll connect to a network, but even if it does, if you just boot the laptop, type your password and hit enter it should log in without needing to see what you're doing.

Apart from that, your only other option is as you've already been told in the other thread. Get the appropriate adapter and plug it into a monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Duke of Speed

i got one in pc world in waterford it takes ide or sata drives comes with usb lead to connect to computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

does it have thunderbolt? if you get a thunderbolt to firewire adapter you can connect your computer to another mac via firewire and possibly use target disc mode; what this means is that the other mac will simply view your macbook air as an external hard drive

maybe bring it to an authorized apple shop like compub and see if they can try that for you

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Any links and are u sure it would work with this particular model as I've googled and it seems it's very rare

Nope no thunderbolt , any chance of USB to FireWire :P ?? Would that work of possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

i got one in pc world in waterford it takes ide or sata drives comes with usb lead to connect to computer

The drive uses a ZIF connection. This should work fine:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/USB-1-8-ZIF-Hard-Drive-Disk-External-Enclosure-Case-/150964597869?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item232630f46d

Edit: Or if you don't have an Ebay account Amazon sell quite a few of these too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=zif+enclosure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you can see the desktop then it's probably the backlight in the screen rather than the graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Nope no thunderbolt , any chance of USB to FireWire :P ?? Would that work of possible

I'm nearly sure you can still do it over firewire, see here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

Edit: of course the MBA doesn't have firewire so won't work unfortunately. Another screen and an Ext HDD is your only bet

Advertisement