Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year ago today

Options
  • 15-12-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

1 year ago today, a great mind fell silent. I remember that morning, waking up to a text from my brother saying that we lost the Hitch, 1 day after I finished his memoir Hitch-22. I dont believe religon poisons everything, but I found that he has had a huge influence of my way of thinking - about life, current affairs, religon and politics.

Has the Hitch been a major influence on you? Was he the greatest of moderns debaters on the subject of religon in your opinion? Do you think he will be seen as a stand alone figure in 10 years time, a one off, for his commitment to truth and his sheer guts to speak his mind on any topic?

I raise a glass once more to a great man. A huge loss.

Comments

I admire Hitchens more for his "a-religious" views than his religious views — forgetting, for a moment, the Iraq conflict, because even Hitchens had to get something wrong (:pac:); namely, for his books on Mother Teresa, Henry Kissinger, Orwell and Jefferson, among others, and his countless published essays and articles that deal with an eclectic mix of topics. I've never read one of his books on religion or atheism, I have to say. I liked The Hitch for his views and opinions, which goes without saying, but I admired him greatly for his intelligence, his wit, his decorum and general demeanour. His atheism doesn't figure too much into my admiration of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm similar to GVN, I did read and enjoy 'God is not Great'. But the man had so much to offer in terms of his rather expansive journalism. Even just looking at 'Arguments' as a sampler of his journalism, so many topics to choose from and he could make the boring seem interesting. :pac:

Advertisement