Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Stars?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I live in isolated countryside in County Donegal and embark on walks almost every night. I wouldn't say every night, but most nights my eye is always drawn to fleeting light objects streaking through the air. They appear smaller than shooting stars and always disappear approximately 100-200 yards before the ground. they also appear to waver from side to side as opposed to falling directly in a singular path. Tonight for example I observed 2 such streaks in the one area approximately 15 minutes apart and another in another area 20 minutes after that. Is there any other similar type activity to explain these, or are they merely shooting stars?, and also why do they appear so regularly in my location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hi all,

I live in isolated countryside in County Donegal and embark on walks almost every night. I wouldn't say every night, but most nights my eye is always drawn to fleeting light objects streaking through the air. They appear smaller than shooting stars and always disappear approximately 100-200 yards before the ground. they also appear to waver from side to side as opposed to falling directly in a singular path. Tonight for example I observed 2 such streaks in the one area approximately 15 minutes apart and another in another area 20 minutes after that. Is there any other similar type activity to explain these, or are they merely shooting stars?, and also why do they appear so regularly in my location?

Tonight it is likely the Geminids, read here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Also the reason you see them alot is because you live in Donegal, an area with little to no light pollution. In Dublin we see next to noting at night except for the brightest of stars but drive out towards Kildare for expample or anywhere outside the city limits and the amount of stars you can see in compared to the city is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Charlito1989

Agreed, I lived in Maynooth during my college years and even there you could still see the tinge of yellow lights due to its proximity to the city.

Advertisement