Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing a Book

Options
  • 14-12-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a student athlete at a mid-sized college in the US that plays soccer and studies there. For the past year, I've been thinking about writing a book on many things related to the US, college, and sports. For example, I would talk about the recruiting process of college, scholarships, US education, college lifestyle, travel etc.

My question is, do ye see a big enough audience for writing a book on these matters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Do you have a publisher?

A lot will depend how you write it...
    -funny anectodes. Could sell well and become a TV series if you are good :)
    - "how to get to america and not pay uni fees" type book- probably would not sell, other than maybe as a 99 cent e-book. And frankly, I don't really see someone who is still in college and has no experience helping others get recruited/ get scholarships as expert enough to write such a book
    - Cultural differences between Ireland and the USA in college (if so, will it be a scholarly book, a fun book, or a layman's sociology book?). I bought a couple of books about cultural/ language differences before I moved over and I think they were helpful. Very small target market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The commercialization of college football is an interesting topic.

My better half worked in Admissions at a major University for years and the Football program was run completely separately almost as a business. They were "recruited" just like any professional athlete, except the process has to be disguised because the university is a "non profit" academic institution.

She was given a list of athlete's to admit every year.

There was also a list of academic programs the athletes would sign up for that would require the absolute minimum of attendance or attention.

Advertisement