Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Tough Jumbos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Very intelligent animals. Ele's are fantastic creatures and one of my favouraites. One of the only other animals apart from the apes, dolphins and whales that have spindle cells in their brain. Spindle cells are thought to play a role in emotion and family bonding and higher cognitive thinking. Funnily enough some of these animals like whales and Ele's (Ele's are what people in conservation call elephants and I think it sounds cool :P) have a greater number of these cells than humans even taking into consideration the size of their brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

That's really interesting. They're just fascinating. Gerry Creighton, the operations manager of Dublin Zoo came into college (I'm on the zoology society committee in Trinity) to give us a talk on elephants last year and we had him back again this year as the event was very popular. It was wonderful seeing his enthusiasm and hearing about the construction of the elephant enclosure in the zoo. You'd have to love elephants after hearing him speak!

Advertisement