Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section scar

Options
  • 14-12-2012 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there

I am 7 months after my 2nd section and am looking for advice about my scar. Unfortunately I suffer with keloid scarring which I only realised after my last section after 2 years it was still red, bumpy and itchy. The doctor told he would take extra care with stitching up etc but I fear the same is happening again. It is starting to itch and is still quite red. I have tried Bio oil but I find it kind of stings me a bit.

Anyone else suffer problems with their scar and any tips on how I could help reduce the scarring

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I had terrible trouble with my second section scar...i used roalan powder (I think that's what it was called) and it really helped to heal it right up. I will look it up and post the name of it later

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rmnrgn

Whilst seeking or providing medical advice is against the policy here on boards.ie you might consider manuka honey as an alternative to Bio-Oil, I'm aware of several reconstuctive surgeons who advocate its use.
    There is also an unproven theory that silicon strips applied in the same way as a band-aid helps to reduce scarring although the providers in Ireland (based in Dunboyne) can't provide the scientific rationale for this claim.
    Thirdly a pressure dressing against the wound should minimise the risk of keloid although I'm not sure how this approach would work after 7 months, its best used in fresher wounds.
    Finally you could always go continental and grow some camouflage....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

As rmnrgn states, no medical advice or the thread will be closed.

I took Hannibals advice a few months ago and started using the Rowaralan powder. It's not as bad as it used to be but still gets red and itchy around that time of the month.

I'd always advocate taking a trip to the doctor though, I get very depressed about mine at times but I have an overhang which doesn't help things. Trying to get rid of that at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Bio oil is useless, really... one thing that's great for moisturising and that has antiseptic properties and that's been used forever is pure shea butter. I bought a kilo of pure shea from the internet for 4 euro.
    Obviously keloid is a condition and no amount of cream will fix it. I have a tendency to form keloids and so do a lot of black people, who incidentally use shea butter quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Thanks for the replies definitely have a few new things to try. I have never heard about that powder so will definitely purchase some and Honey who would have thought it. Its just so frustrating, the itching is the thing that gets me the most, it can be restrictive with clothing too certain jeans etc just lie up against it an irritate me all day. There will be no more sexy lacy pants for me !!!!!
    January I am hearing you with the overhang this was my fourth baby ( I had first 2 naturally) so my belly is a sorry sight now :confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks Lounakin, that's another one to add to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The only real medical treatment for a keloid scar is silver nitrate. It must be prescribed by a Dr. The best thing to do is get a referral for a dermatologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Emcm wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies definitely have a few new things to try. I have never heard about that powder so will definitely purchase some and Honey who would have thought it. Its just so frustrating, the itching is the thing that gets me the most, it can be restrictive with clothing too certain jeans etc just lie up against it an irritate me all day. There will be no more sexy lacy pants for me !!!!!
    January I am hearing you with the overhang this was my fourth baby ( I had first 2 naturally) so my belly is a sorry sight now :confused:

I had the c section on my first and two natural births after. C section was 4 years ago this week and I'm still having trouble (sorry to be the bearer of bad news!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My husband gets keloid scarring, he finds stretching the skin is the best for it over time. He has them on his back and arms mostly, so he bends and twists to stretch the skin as much as he can. hard to stretch that section area though!

Won't the honey be very sticky and hard to use? Careful it doesn't drift south when washing it off, you would be giving a yeast infection something sugary and delicious to absolutely thrive on.

He has tried every cream,oil and ointment on the market... Nothing works for keloid. It is your own body building extra defenses. Anyone who finds something that actually works will make a fortune!

January wrote: »

I took Hannibals advice a few months ago and started using the Rowaralan powder. It's not as bad as it used to be but still gets red and itchy around that time of the month.

I'd always advocate taking a trip to the doctor though, I get very depressed about mine at times but I have an overhang which doesn't help things. Trying to get rid of that at the moment.

this is the first full year I've dealt with the problem so I'm quietly curious as to whether the summer time will bring back the problems...but so far so good.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »

this is the first full year I've dealt with the problem so I'm quietly curious as to whether the summer time will bring back the problems...but so far so good.

Emcm wrote: »

I have to say the thoughts of lacy underwear are it is like nails on a blackboard. I never let anything rest against it. first scar I never had a minute of problem with...but this one was really problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I have to say the thoughts of lacy underwear are it is like nails on a blackboard. I never let anything rest against it. first scar I never had a minute of problem with...but this one was really problematic.

I'm the same with my section scar after 15 months. I find the laced top ones are worse than all lace if that makes sense?
    Still raised, red, bumpy as well... :/

I wonder is it to do with the stitches or position of the scar? I did notice that around that time of the month it would become very irritated (just like me hah!) ..I presume its to do with body temperature?

one day I had now rowarlan powder left and even used some of the baby's caldescene :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I wonder is it to do with the stitches or position of the scar? I did notice that around that time of the month it would become very irritated (just like me hah!) ..I presume its to do with body temperature?

one day I had now rowarlan powder left and even used some of the baby's caldescene :o
    I haven't had a section but abdominal surgery with the Same scar as section. I used bio oil a lot, but It wasn't the product I found good, just having it well moisturised. And I always used Caldesene powder 2:)

It's interesting to see how many people have trouble with their scars anytime I saw a picture of a scar it was always this tiny White line and I was looking at mine going 'what's going on?'

I will definitely try the powder if it even eased the itch I would be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ibabe100

Hi for section scar i have had 3 babies this way after shower i use regular johnson's baby power and it keep's it dry i have no trouble...bio oil not good in that case ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I've had 3 sections, and a tendency for keloid type scarring, which I previously hadn't been aware of:(. My first section was coming up on 20yrs ago(:eek:), and I was cut up the way, presumably as my baby was breech. It healed horribly, it wasn't really sore or anything, but was thick and nothing like the thin white line I thought it would become.
    On the second section the surgeon cut out the first scar, and the second scar healed slightly better. I can remember trying Bio Oil , and these silicone patches, on the scar. To be honest I don't think they did anything for it.
    For my 3rd section, almost a year ago, I was cut across the way. I couldn't get the continuous stitch out until 3 weeks after the op, as it wasn't healing well. There was one little area that would not close over properly, on the left side. Now a year later, the left side of the scar is a lovely thin white line, while the right side is red and lumpy:(. It is the best of the three, yet it is itchy and sore at times, and can feel numb around the time of my period. The vertical scar somehow looks better now, after the 3rd pregnancy, maybe the stretching of the skin did something for it.
    Just as well I never aspired to be a bikini model:p

Advertisement