Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with writing Essays

Options
  • 14-12-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am a third year history student. My current essay grade is hovering around the low 2.1 category. Basically, I would love to be able to improve on this and get either a high 2.1 and eventually, a 1.
    In first year, I regularly achieved first class honours in my essays but I just cannot replicate this mark any more. I am hoping to pursue a masters/Ph.D in my other subject (I'm double honours) but I just cannot get my history grade up.
    Might anyone know of any tutor/grind system that could help me improve my writing skills and second review my work so I could achieve higher grades?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

macgrub wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am a third year history student. My current essay grade is hovering around the low 2.1 category. Basically, I would love to be able to improve on this and get either a high 2.1 and eventually, a 1.
    In first year, I regularly achieved first class honours in my essays but I just cannot replicate this mark any more. I am hoping to pursue a masters/Ph.D in my other subject (I'm double honours) but I just cannot get my history grade up.
    Might anyone know of any tutor/grind system that could help me improve my writing skills and second review my work so I could achieve higher grades?

Are you sure it's not a content issue rather than a writing style problem. Firsts (should) require very wide reading outside of the core course.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Are you sure it's not a content issue rather than a writing style problem. Firsts (should) require very wide reading outside of the core course.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. You are correct; wide reading is essential. However, I know that there have been occasions when limited reading and even I've used similar amounts of (even the same) sources as others but my marks are considerably lower. I feel that my writing style might be letting me down. How to rectify it though....

Hi. Thanks for the reply. You are correct; wide reading is essential. However, I know that there have been occasions when limited reading and even I've used similar amounts of (even the same) sources as others but my marks are considerably lower. I feel that my writing style might be letting me down. How to rectify it though....

Do you know how the scheme breaks down? What marks are given for style - it's normally only 10%. Is there an issue with the conclusions you are drawing? The only thing I can think of is if you are waffling and using up your word count?

Have your lecturers given you an feedback?

Do you know how the scheme breaks down? What marks are given for style - it's normally only 10%. Is there an issue with the conclusions you are drawing? The only thing I can think of is if you are waffling and using up your word count?

Have your lecturers given you an feedback?

The feedback is usually "it was really good but you could have argued this point...".
    I find that it is very essay-specific details they give and not really transferable.

In one essay, I asked for detailed feedback. I was told each paragraph was very good, no waffle, good arguments (but I could have said 'this or that') but it was very good and 'I should be happy'.
    I can't help but feel it's my writing style and the way I deliver an argument. How I improve, I don't know:(

The feedback is usually "it was really good but you could have argued this point...".
    I find that it is very essay-specific details they give and not really transferable.

In one essay, I asked for detailed feedback. I was told each paragraph was very good, no waffle, good arguments (but I could have said 'this or that') but it was very good and 'I should be happy'.
    I can't help but feel it's my writing style and the way I deliver an argument. How I improve, I don't know:(

Does your institution have a debating society? If it does join it - these are an excellent way to improve essays and argument in general.

I think what's happening is you're hitting all the right notes but not arguing anything unique. To be honest to get firsts outside of first year (where they are handed out more readily) you really need something 'extra'.

Hope this has been of some help - I'm not sure grinds are going to help you though. Bear in mind a high 2.1 is an excellent grade.

• Advertisement

Does your institution have a debating society? If it does join it - these are an excellent way to improve essays and argument in general.

I think what's happening is you're hitting all the right notes but not arguing anything unique. To be honest to get firsts outside of first year (where they are handed out more readily) you really need something 'extra'.

Hope this has been of some help - I'm not sure grinds are going to help you though. Bear in mind a high 2.1 is an excellent grade.

"but not arguing anything unique"

I think you're hitting the nail on the head. Food for thought there. Thank you :)

Advertisement