Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from XP to Ubontu?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for a little advice please. I have been asked to look at an old laptop, Dell Inspiron, running Win XP, 1.40 GHx Celeron M processor, 35GB hard drive, with a view to making it a little more useable for basic web & email viewing.

Would the laptop run a bit better if I was to get rid of XP & replace it with a open source OS such as Ubontu?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

The regular Ubuntu install with Unity would be pretty slow on that machine.

I'd recommend going for a more lightweight install like Lubuntu or, my preference, Xubuntu. Lubuntu would probably be a bit more user friendly though.

These should be fine for basic browsing and checking emails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I started a similar thread here just the other day
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82231704

I would also recommend Lubuntu. You can also check out the spec of hte machine online and see the max the motherboard can handle. The very original machine was a dell dimension 2400 2.4GHz celeron 512Mb ram. I had put in a 1GB ram a while ago, and will get another, 2GB is the max. I am upgrading the processor to the max 3.06GHz pentium 4. The processor was only €8 used on ebay, the new 1GB should be a similar price.

Though as yours is a laptop it might be more expensive and harder to do, the processor anyway.

You can run Lubuntu off the disc without installing it to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Thanks guys. Will look into the os's suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

Definitely have a look at Xubuntu and Lubuntu. Probably a good idea would be to have a browse through youtube to see how they look, and figure out which would better suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

yea have to agree , lubuntu would proable be the best for you. Ubuntu looks nicer and all but unity can be a bit of a drag on systems. With Lubuntu you still have all the ubuntu support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement