Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are woodworkers getting for Christmas?

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭

Anyone treating themselves or being treated to some new kit or woodcraft related pressies this year? I've a copy of Christopher Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" on order,I just hope it arrives on time. Should be a good read, I read his workbench book last year and enjoyed it. Anyone else got anything interesting on their list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I am currently waiting on a kreg rip cut from amazon, picking up a framing nailer tomorrow, sister is getting me a pocket hole jig and Dad is picking up a new sds and 2nd fix gun in London as it is a lot cheaper then buying locally or even shipping them over :) so spending a fortune this Christmas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I might get a new hand saw and a pencil from B&Q Money's tight and I can't afford anything with a plug or battery on it :(

fergal.b wrote: »
    I might get a new hand saw and a pencil from B&Q Money's tight and I can't afford anything with a plug or battery on it :(
    I was on the exact same position last year Fergal, could barely afford a pencil myself... This year I've had tools go "missing" :( so have to replace them.. hopefully work starts picking up all over the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Anyone treating themselves or being treated to some new kit or woodcraft related pressies this year? I've a copy of Christopher Schwarz's "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" on order,I just hope it arrives on time. Should be a good read, I read his workbench book last year and enjoyed it. Anyone else got anything interesting on their list?

I bet the workbench book is a great read. What I would love for Crimbo are those vises for a proper Roubo workbench but they are very expensive. Maybe a few Lie Nielsen tools, a dovetail saw, a good basic plane .... Who am I kidding, they are almost as expensive as the vises.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Getting myself a benchcrafted criss-cross to fancy up my Roubo bench :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Getting myself a benchcrafted criss-cross to fancy up my Roubo bench :)

Sweet. I'm strongly thinking about building a Roubo workbench. If I do I'm hoping to build it from Ash and using Bog Oak for the bench dogs.

Going to pick up a circular saw on Friday, budget of 100, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Going to pick up a circular saw on Friday, budget of 100, any recommendations?
    Yes pick up second hand stuff with a good make on it :D it will last longer than new cheap stuff .

Carpenter wrote: »
    Yes pick up second hand stuff with a good make on it :D it will last longer than new cheap stuff .

Been burned in the past with second hand stuff so not going down that route. Besides the other half is buying it for me so might as well get something new

Been burned in the past with second hand stuff so not going down that route. Besides the other half is buying it for me so might as well get something new

Ive always been wary of second hand stuff but picked up two framing nail guns on Saturday for 30 euro each.... best purchase I have ever made! One needed a service as it had been sitting up for a while but €80 for 2 framing guns (1 of which is basically new) was a really good deal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement