Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new bank for business and personal banking

Options
  • 14-12-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I'm raising this topic again as I can't find any current threads on it.
    Thankfully, I have a strong and growing professional services/software company but the lack of support and flexibility from my current bank (Bank of Ireland) has gone too far. The company has had growth year on year, we are in the growing energy sector and are also looking to export as soon as possible.

I've been let down by BOI over the last few years for both business and personal reasons and I am looking for a new bank for both business and personal accounts.
    I'll give a list of the Pros/Cons I have found with BOI and then some requirements for moving on to another provider. Thanks in advance for any advice.

BUSINESS ACCOUNT PROS
    - Not many, I have had free online banking with my business for the last few years but this has just finished.

BUSINESS ACCOUNT CONS
    - My business advisor is atrocious, to use one word.
    - I had great difficulty getting a minor loan last year, where BOI were unnecesarily looking for gaurantors. I had it successfully overturned using the Credit Review Office. But BOI came across like a shower of cowboys/cowgirls in how they dealt with it.
    - I wanted a hassle free credit facility/overdraft facility and I was treated like a 15 year old during the process of setting it up.
    - Business Online banking is awful.

PERSONAL ACCOUNT PROS
    - I have had a generally good experience with online365, the mobile apps and web improvements have come along great in the last few years. The ability to setup a new account within minutes using my mobile is great. No complaints.

PERSONAL ACCOUNT CONS
    - BOI have just removed the option of a free personal current account. Before, if I had over €3k going into the account in a quarter and 9 online transactions, the fees would be waived. I despised this system, but now that its gone completely I cannot avoid banking charges.

I feel like I am the one supporting them at times. This needs to change, but I'm not sure that there is any better options out there. My general requirements are as follows:
    - Better business online banking than BOI. (Some online banking has a calculator yoke, that needs to be carried everywhere, this is out of the question).
    - Motivated business advisors (I know this is subjective, but some banks can have a strong support for SME's)
    - Ideally, free business banking for new accounts (i.e. for 1-2 yrs)
    - Personal online banking equal to BOI or better.
    - Fair access to credit line facilities, overdrafts and loans without jumping through hoops.
    - Free personal current accounts (Don't mind if I have to meet certain conditions).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Ulster bank have free personal banking and will have for approx another year. I like their mobile ap.

Re credit - I think all banks are being very cautious re lending right now. This is particularly problematic for youngish growing companies.

Advertisement