Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition Disk

Options
  • 14-12-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

if i install windows on a 2nd partition on hard disk can i still access old files on first partition?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yes, if it is in a supported format such as NTFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Should be able to... if for some reason file permissions, privacy settings, stopped you getting at the files you could still boot up the old windows and change permissions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

Should be able to... if for some reason file permissions, privacy settings, stopped you getting at the files you could still boot up the old windows and change permissions

Problem is original windows is corrupt so have to go this route

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you tried booting up a Live Linux disk, like Knoppix, to back everything up first?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It should be possible, provided the hard disk is healthy. but rather than messing with partitions I would also reccomend 5uspect's advice of backing up via a linux live disc first.

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paconnors wrote: »
    Problem is original windows is corrupt so have to go this route
    oh

another option (might be better than having a borked OS on the first partition )

you can use parted magic to shrink and move the old windows partition up the disk (this will take bleedin ages) to leave room for the new OS at the start of the drive

if you value your stuff back it up

parted magic can also check your disk

Advertisement