Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AHT (Apple Hardware Test) on 2008 MBP running 10.8

Options
  • 13-12-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

How are you all doing? It's been a while since I posted here, although, I have been reading away all the time. Hope you are all well.

I have a niggly little issue that is beginning to drive me a little mad, because while the solution must be very easy, I cannot seem to fix it!

Basically I have an MBP, late 2008, running 10.8. I want to run a hardware test on it for a number of reasons, some fan issues, minor things, but mostly because I'm getting a load of hassle from the combo-drive. Basically, every time I insert any CD/DVD Finder recognises it only as a blank media and then loses it again so I can only eject via machine restart.

So I've tried to run an AHT using all the usual methods:

Holding D on startup does nothing - so I assume the 10.8 installation removed what may have already been on the machine.

Holding Opt+D for the Internet AHT - does nothing (although this works perfectly on other machines running 10.8)

Now here is where it gets annoying ...

So I fish out my system DVDs that came with the machine. I insert the Applications DVD (which is where the AHT is), and nothing... horrible searching and spinning noises and it fails to recognise the disc, great help!

BUT the odd thing is, just as a trial, I inserted the INSTALL OS DVD that came with the machine (10.5), and it recognises that without any hassle, in fact, its the only media that it recognises at all! :( Not very helpful.

So ... any other tips/tricks/sneaky ways of running an AHT on the machine? Or any insight as to why it only reads one disc? Very frustrated with this issue now.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Long time no see !! Is it possible to make a USB installer for ML ? You can run the AHT from that I believe ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hi Ken,

Thanks!

Yeah it is possible, however I think I'd have to get the AHT from the .diagnostics folder on the DVD in order to do that, and well, I can't load the disc at all! The only other machine I have is an MBA with no external drive unfortunately.

Unless there is an online resource where I could get the AHT from and use that on a USB ?

I've no experience with ML - Snow Leopard is fine for my uses :) but Apple Support seems to suggest the AHT is built in to the Installation medium ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11342

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Yeah, it *says* it is, but when I try to invoke it on the MBP it's missing. I can run it successfully on the MBA with ML, no problem. Not there on the MBP though, unfortunately.

If you were to acquire the .diagnostics folder from somewhere would that help ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Target Disc any use, Katie?

Advertisement