Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD Cinema: where's its website?

• 13-12-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

I just discovered five minutes ago that there is now a cinema in UCD. I want to find out more.

All I can find is:

this

and

this

Have they really established a cinema without establishing a website that gives us clear, concise information about what's on?

Facebook pages are generally atrociously cheapskate, with the reader having to trawl through rubbish to accumulate information. That UCD Cinema one is horribly obscurantist. I do not give a flying fúck if Jack the Ripper "likes" it. It is totally fúcking irrelevant. The comments of an assorted array of arrant gobshítes are also deeply, and profoundly, and utterly irrelevant. Really. All that crap on a single page, when I just want information about what's on. Jesus, why do they make it difficult? What is wrong with UCD Cinema not having a clear, succinct website with a list of what's on, times, prices, and what's coming?

/rant over.

From one of the links above:

""Inspired by arthouse cinemas throughout the world the idea for a university cinema was bourne out of the idea that a holistic education is a vital part of UCD...."

If UCD Cinema is "inspired by arthouse cinemas" why is it showing the commercial repetitive rubbish like James Bond that is found in any other middle-of-the-road cinema? I got the impression from its "arthouse" claim that it would be akin to the Lighthouse Cinema or to the IFI, showing French cinema and the like. Now that would be refreshingly different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Seanchai wrote: »

The Facebook page put the films as their cover photo every week, it's very obvious, first thing you see when you go onto the page.

And of course they show mainstream films, 99% of people have no interest in obscure stuff, but they do have filmsoc showings for different films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Seanchai wrote: »
    If UCD Cinema is "inspired by arthouse cinemas" why is it showing the commercial repetitive rubbish like James Bond that is found in any other middle-of-the-road cinema? I got the impression from its "arthouse" claim that it would be akin to the Lighthouse Cinema or to the IFI, showing French cinema and the like. Now that would be refreshingly different.

Simple. If the UCD cinema doesn't make money, it will be closed down. The FilmSoc has regular screenings of non-english language movies, but nobody f*cking goes to them, and I'm sure those who hold the purse strings are watching. To be quite honest, since the cinema opened in September, I've been consistently surprised by the ratio of commercial/left-field movies on their schedule. I'm far too drunk at the moment to compare recent schedules of the Lighthouse and IFI to recent screenings at UCD, but I'm usually pleasantly surprised by the standard of movies they have on offer. Seriously, if it's something you feel that strongly about, send them an email - I'm sure you'll get a response, but either join FilmSoc and avail of their free, under-attended screenings, or go to one of the cinemas you've mentioned. Believe me, UCD drives me mad on a daily basis, but I personally believe that whoever is the head of programming at the cinema is doing a fine job.

By the way, I have absolutely no connection to anyone involved in either the cinema or FilmSoc, but your none-more-worthy attitude really p1ssed me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

They also run Opera screenings in there sometimes, for some course.

It has it's uses. Dunno why UCD needs two cinemas but anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fad wrote: »
    They also run Opera screenings in there sometimes, for some course.

It has it's uses. Dunno why UCD needs two cinemas but anyway.

Two cinemas, huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Wow... and I thought having a reasonably large, comfortable, active cinema on campus was the one thing people couldn't bitch about..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Is The Hobbit playing there yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Preusse wrote: »
    Is The Hobbit playing there yet?

It's usually about 2-3 weeks behind, or at least it was with skyfall and taken 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

catch.23 wrote: »
    It's usually about 2-3 weeks behind, or at least it was with skyfall and taken 2.

Which is ridiculous, given the prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Eathrin wrote: »
    Which is ridiculous, given the prices

Uh...

|Student (1pm)|Student (7pm+)|Adult (1pm)|Adult (7pm+)
    UCD Cinema|5|5|6|6
    Odeon|6.50|7.75|7|9.80
    Dundrum|6.25|7.50|6.80|9.50

I'm not sure I see what the problem is?

That's also not even taking into account that selling tickets isn't where cinemas make their money, that comes from popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Raphael wrote: »
    Uh...

|Student (1pm)|Student (7pm+)|Adult (1pm)|Adult (7pm+)
    UCD Cinema|5|5|6|6
    Odeon|6.50|7.75|7|9.80
    Dundrum|6.25|7.50|6.80|9.50

I'm not sure I see what the problem is?

That's also not even taking into account that selling tickets isn't where cinemas make their money, that comes from popcorn.

There are quite a few cinemas that do €5 deals for various things (Student, o2, day of the week etc.)

But that's besides the point, I would usually only go to the cinema to see just released movies. In UCD it seems like they're almost a month behind release which for me defeats one purpose of the cinema. It's a shame but i'm not saying it would stop me using the cinema completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Anyone know if you can rent out the cinema? And if so, approximate cost? Been meaning to email them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ironclaw wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can rent out the cinema? And if so, approximate cost? Been meaning to email them.

Yeah, they run kids birthday parties in there sometimes, so you can I think. There's some weird complications with distributions rights for films afaik, so they cant screen certain films, but I'd say they'll explain if you enquire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Eathrin wrote: »
    There are quite a few cinemas that do €5 deals for various things (Student, o2, day of the week etc.)

But that's besides the point, I would usually only go to the cinema to see just released movies. In UCD it seems like they're almost a month behind release which for me defeats one purpose of the cinema. It's a shame but i'm not saying it would stop me using the cinema completely.

Of you have a trinity Phil membership card you can get 2 cinema tickets in the Savoy on a Tuesday or Thursday for €4. Which is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

errlloyd wrote: »
    Of you have a trinity Phil membership card you can get 2 cinema tickets in the Savoy on a Tuesday or Thursday for €4. Which is incredible.

Do you have a link for that? I wonder if my lifetime Phil membership would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Sorry to bump such an ancient thread but just looking for a quick answer as I'm interested in an upcoming screening.
    Is the cinema open to the general public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes! €6 for adults and you book online with a debit/credit card and print your ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Excellent. Thanks for the info!
    Nice to see the ticket price is still the same 5 years on :)

Advertisement