Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vh genesis quest[ion]

Options
  • 13-12-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

wasn't sure where to piggyback this question so making a new thread...

would love to try my hand at a rebuildable, having a false sense of 'sher this is pi** easy after recoiling a vivi nova and not killing anyone in the process. am i even correct in thinking the flavour i'm going to get is gonna be way better than the nova? i was shown a vh genesis at the vapemeet last week and like the look, price, and it's not as fiddly looking as i thought [famous last words i expect]. BUT i'd prefer a clear tank.

can you just buy that bit seperately if i go with getting it from the best shop? or does anywhere know where i can get one with a clear tank straight off? I have all my other bits ready and i'm more confused by googling tbh, a lot of the ones i see are only on alibaba or in the US.

orrrrrrrr..... should i be looking at something completely different as a first try at this stuff?

go easy on me....talk slowly, lots of hand gestures, etc etc :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I have a VH genesis and while I love the flavour, at this point a few months after its release I would 100% get an AGA-S instead of it.

The Main reasons being:
    • Spares available for the AGA.
    • Stainless steel vs Chrome
    • Price almost the same

I'm starting to have the brass go slightly funky around the posts/isolators and are needing to clean it every few days (full dissassemble) or its starts to taste pretty nasty.

In answer to your question YES you can buy tanks separately and I think you can for the AGA-S too (or will be able to shortly) - honestly I really thought I'd need a clear tank, but after using a solid one for a while you kinda just "know" when you will run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

was.deevey wrote: »
    I'm starting to have the brass go slightly funky around the posts/isolators and are needing to clean it every few days (full dissassemble) or its starts to taste pretty nasty.

ain't gonna lie.... that... does not sound pleasant.
    was.deevey wrote: »
    In answer to your question YES you can buy tanks separately and I think you can for the AGA-S too (or will be able to shortly) - honestly I really thought I'd need a clear tank, but after using a solid one for a while you kinda just "know" when you will run out.

i thought the aga-s was SS only cause of something to do with the connectors, that the tank acted as the negative - or something. can't remember where i read it and i only remember a few key words so i might have got it ass-wise though.

ain't gonna lie.... that... does not sound pleasant.

In fairness for the price at the time it was the best value, that was until a few weeks later the AGA came along. But it has lasted a few months of me chain vaping and still working fine.
    i thought the aga-s was SS only cause of something to do with the connectors, that the tank acted as the negative - or something. can't remember where i read it and i only remember a few key words so i might have got it ass-wise though.

I think its the same setup as a VH DID with a hollow center post for negative, ask on the AGA thread one of the guys there has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

AFAIK the S is for slim, all the AGA's claim to be stainless now and have stainless center posts available.
    If you do go for the VH one I have a second clear tank I can give you, doubt I'll ever get the bloody thing going right.
    Off topic a bit; I ordered some wick and wire from http://electra-pipes.com/en/16-mesh-kanthal-glass-fiber on Wensday and got it today, Germans may be screwing us but they are efficient. Gona try a sicilone wick in the VH gennie as per this thread.
    http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Aga-T-Silica-Wick-Set-Up-Pics
    See if it works and if it dose I get to stop dripping and driving before they bring in penalty points for that as well.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    AFAIK the S is for slim, all the AGA's claim to be stainless now and have stainless center posts available.
    If you do go for the VH one I have a second clear tank I can give you, doubt I'll ever get the bloody thing going right.
    Off topic a bit; I ordered some wick and wire from http://electra-pipes.com/en/16-mesh-kanthal-glass-fiber on Wensday and got it today, Germans may be screwing us but they are efficient. Gona try a sicilone wick in the VH gennie as per this thread.
    http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Aga-T-Silica-Wick-Set-Up-Pics
    See if it works and if it dose I get to stop dripping and driving before they bring in penalty points for that as well.

aw tommy yer as good, thanks for the offer. i went ahead last night and ordered the aga-s though. i'm sure i won't have a clue what i'm at but that's half the fun really. kinda not looking over the cliff of frustration and just jumpin'... iykwim. ;)

• Advertisement

Wise, the amount of tears and tantrums the VH G has induced in me, a mature grown adult, had to be seen to be believed.
    Then again what mature adult would try to do what we do with bits of mesh and lengths of wire in a space so small you couldn't swing a gnat......

Was right about the aga s.Pic here;http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Aga-T-Silica-Wick-Set-Up-Pics?page=8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have the VH and the Aga-S. Without a shadow of a doubt the Aga-S is the one to go for. The VH is an absolute bear to set up. I don't know why but its really difficult compared to the Aga-S.

I found some silvery deposits on the mesh of the VH which I assume is chrome which has rubbed off messing with getting it into the tank, a million times.......

The only disadvantage of the Aga-S is the lack of a clear tank.

I found some silvery deposits on the mesh of the VH which I assume is chrome which has rubbed off messing with getting it into the tank, a million times.......

Its the green sludge around the isolator seals from the brass oxidizing that makes me a lil queezy :P

To be honest, I've got a couple of Bulli's, a Clockworks RDA, VH Genesis and an Aga-S and if I was to recommend a rebuildable for a starter, I'd recommend the RDA followed by a Bulli.

I'd steer clear of the genesis types. They really are very difficult to set up compared to the other types and to me, they don't give much better of a vape. They are a nightmare to fill too cos you need a syringe and an Allen key or screwdriver to open the filler hole.

The Clockworks RDA is very forgiving and has posts that allow you to put the wire ends through and tighten a screw onto the wire. Loads of room too.

The Bulli is a great piece of kit too and you can use it in dripper, tank or cartridge mode, if you buy the conversion kits. Slightly harder to master though IMO.

Both the RDA and Bulli can be set up using mesh as well.

I'd steer clear of the genesis types. They really are very difficult to set up compared to the other types and to me, they don't give much better of a vape. They are a nightmare to fill too cos you need a syringe and an Allen key or screwdriver to open the filler hole.

I've never left in the fill screw as it would never wick properly with the screw left in place - filling is pretty easy though once you have a needle top bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im always surprised when you say the RDA is easier to setup than the bulli tbh :)

the amount of hardship I had with my rda compared to the bulli which i was able to get setup and working perfectly pretty much the day I got it

It's funny cos I found the Bulli was trickier to master. The RDA has the holes in the posts while the Bulli screws can pull in the tails of the wire.

I suppose horses for courses!

Either way, both of them are much easier than the genesis atties I think. Actually for somebody starting out on rebuildables those Vision Eternity kits look quite good too. Could be junk for all I know but they 'look' pretty good.

Wasted a Sunday afternoon with this thing today. And I could have been watching telly.
    I can get a coil to work fine, hitting 2.2 ohm but only if I leave out the wick, using the drill bit trick.
    I supose this means my wick is shorting or something, I'v burned it black, blue and every shade between, heat, quench X3, eliquid burn X3, nothing works.
    The silica wick dosnt work either as its too limp to coil properly.
    Isnt their a better wick material? something non conductive but capillary inducing and rigid.
    Anyway it' going back in it's box till I'm bored enough to try again.

I have mine about 2 months and only got it working properly in the last day or so. I'd threatened it with the bin, melting, a hammer, a sledgehammer and a nuclear bomb numerous times. I put it away time and time again but eventually got it working. I could never get the drill bit method to work for me though no matter what I did. The coil would be fine but I could never get the wick evenly rolled enough and there would always be a turn of the coil away from the wick.

This time I wound the coil from the base to the positive post using 4 turns of kanthal 0.15. I put a paper clip through the wick for support.

It really is a bear. That said, its working well now. It's a more solid unit that the Aga-S actually. With the AGA, the centre post can be moved just by the centre pin on the battery and that fecks the coil up again.

with all this talk of difficulties none of yez are filling me with joy and excitement for my new purchase btw

just sayin'

:mad:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

artyeva wrote: »
    with all this talk of difficulties none of yez are filling me with joy and excitement for my new purchase btw

just sayin'

:mad:

:p

You know where you can stick your Genesis Gill's ;)
    Right up the EU's backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

kiffy wrote: »
    You know where you can stick your Genesis Gill's ;)
    Right up the EU's backside.

Traps methane in the chamber, causes massive throathit.
    I like where you're going with this.

artyeva wrote: »
    just sayin'
    :mad: :p
    Well Gill’s I hope you better luck with your rebuilding than I did last night, had a bit of time on my hands and got out my 2 rebuildables. Made up a fine looking 5 turn coil (2.7 ohm) for my AGA T did a dry burn and perfect, all 5 turns glowed, filed up my tank and left soak for a bit and tried it, hardly any taste or vapour, took the top off and checked the coil, and none of the coil glowing only the strand from the center post glowing and nothing else, ripped out the coil and put it away. Don’t know why it didn’t work everything looked perfect.

Then got my RDA had better luck with this before and worked well, made another good looking 5 turn coil, but could not for the life of me get the wire into the tiny hole, opened the screw a bit more and bloody thing fell on the floor, tried for minutes to get it back in, when I chucked the screw into the bin followed by the rest of the RDA, then went back to watch the telly feeling like a scolded cat.
    Tonight proved the last straw for rebuilding for me, going to stick with my STV Nova and €2 replaceable heads.

Hope you have better luck than me and have the knack for it where as I certainly don’t.

Jesus Christ man! Raid that bin and sell the RDA to someone!

Praise the gods you didn't try the Phoenix. If you thought the holes in the RDA were small... Ugh...

If you want to try your RDA again, just wrap the same number of coils you had on the failed attempt, but leave an inch of wire on the legs of the coil to make threading easier. Thread through, snip.

You won't regret it.

Why would you dump it?!? GRAAAaGHgGERTttRDfYY!

grindle wrote: »
    Jesus Christ man! Raid that bin and sell the RDA to someone!

Praise the gods you didn't try the Phoenix. If you thought the holes in the RDA were small... Ugh...

If you want to try your RDA again, just wrap the same number of coils you had on the failed attempt, but leave an inch of wire on the legs of the coil to make threading easier. Thread through, snip.

You won't regret it.

Why would you dump it?!? GRAAAaGHgGERTttRDfYY!
    Bugger it, it only cost about €7 or €8. And I had plenty of extra wire to thread through, just wouldn't get in there, and I lost my rag with it (Phoenix Rebuildable from ESI their deal of the day range, hah nearly cost me a new double glazed window had I not been close to the bin) and I never got as far as to fire it up, the failed attempt was with the Aga T before my rag loss with the RDA so it didn't take much to lose the rag with it.
    Didn't throw the Aga T away but got to be in a very good mood to take it out the box again and have another go :mad: fecking things would drive you to drink.

• Advertisement

Ah, it WAS the Phoenix. Thought you had THE RDA not AN RDA.
    Damn colloquialisms. Go get THE RDA. Big massive holes to put the wires through.
    Totally worth the extra quids.

Ah, it WAS the Phoenix. Thought you had THE RDA not AN RDA.
    Damn colloquialisms. Go get THE RDA. Big massive holes to put the wires through.
    Totally worth the extra quids.
    Are you talking about the Clockworks RDA?
    And what the ****s a colloquialism. You keep using these big words like colloquialism and GRAAAaGHgGERTttRDfYY! you trying to confuse me or what :p

I am. It's such a good RDA that 'RDA' entered the vernacular on this side of the pond as synonymous with dripping rebuildables.

Americans call them RBAs. I dislike that.

Go go gadget buy-the-Clockworks-RDA-kiffy.
    Or the eBaron Pro Dripper, as you're such a BroVari. It'd look much sexier than the Clockworks RDA and has had an endless stream of good reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah RBA pisses me off to such a degree I wonder if there's something wrong with me emotionally

also screw what he said
    get a bulli a2 classic + drip tip adapter

also screw what he said
    get a bulli a2 classic + drip tip adapter

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Or the eBaron Pro Dripper, as you're such a BroVari. It'd look much sexier than the Clockworks RDA and has had an endless stream of good reviews.

This.

You won't regret it.

Ever.

right.

aga-s arrived this morning >> set it up with a silica wick >> coil reading 2 ohms >> FLAVOUR OUT OF THIS THING IS UNREAL :eek::eek::eek::eek:

few things to iron out.... the airhole is a tiny teensy bit off, and the wick i have could wick a bit faster [am i explaining that right?] off to mr google to learn more then i'll try it with mesh.

love the look and feel of it though. on the whole - if i get the proper hang of it with a bit of fiddling - i'm a happy bunny :p

Advertisement