Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic (Service and Timing Belt)

Options
  • 13-12-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi All,

i have a Renault Scenic 2005 (1.4 Petrol).
    it is time to do a full service and change the timing belt (car is over 5 years).

should i bring the car to a Renault garage or a normal mechanic is enough?

I live in Kimmage, can someone reccomend a good garage in the area?

Note: i will probably change the 4 tyres as well so i am looking to get a discount :)

thanks a lot for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Don't know why nobody has answered you yet, its a pretty straight forward answer/suggestion. I'd ring your local Renault dealer, price it from them (don't forget its a pump/tensioners/belt kit) and then ring around a few local Indy's. You may just be surprised how small the price difference is between main dealer and Independant. Renault are doing Motrio tyres too so they can take care of the lot, price first of course.

Happy shopping !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Should be something a decent mechanic can do. Did my sister's 05 Scenic after being quoted an exorbitant amount by Renault, can't remember how much but it was over €400 (1.5 diesel)

Cost €20 for the timing pin and about 5 hours work, there's a fair bit of dismantling needed inc half the RH suspension to get at it which is why it was an expensive job.

Said this before but I feckin hate Renaults!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As a guide, we'd normally be charging €350 for a full kit with water pump and a full engine service/vehicle inspection/diagnostics etc is €129.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

As a guide, we'd normally be charging €350 for a full kit with water pump and a full engine service/vehicle inspection/diagnostics etc is €129.

I called the Renault dealer and they quoted me €179 for the full service and €499 for the timing belt.

It seems a bit expensive to me.

Do you think the work its any different from others?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You are as well off to get both the service and timing belt done at the same time for best value in my opinion, I'd shop around some more as there could be significant difference in price, last time I got a service + belt done on the wifes Megane it was €450 in a main Renault dealer in Limerick which I thought was reasonable enough, it's a time consuming job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Right on your doorstep - http://www.treacysautocentre.ie/contentv3/

We use them extensively through work for servicing, and other leasing companies do too.

Should be a good bit cheaper than a main dealer due to lower labour rates. They look after my car and the wife's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

cargen wrote: »
    I called the Renault dealer and they quoted me €179 for the full service and €499 for the timing belt.

It seems a bit expensive to me.

Do you think the work its any different from others?

Thanks

There are good dealer and poor dealers, just as with independent garages so its down to individual garages as to how good the service will be.

As for the price being lower when getting both together, you may be able to get a small discount but they are two separate jobs with little or no crossover work so will have two separate prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

You are going to pay a little bit more for a timing belt change on a scenic.....nay, most modern renaults as access is incredibly limited.
    Renaults really are the pits to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 XC90_D5

Rang one Renault dealer for 2010 Scenic III 1.5 dci and they quoted €550 for timing belt and water pump. Kearys Renault quoted €700 and an indy quoted €450 so there's a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, but thread is from 2012.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement