Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fás Courses

Options
  • 13-12-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I'm in need of help. I'm tired of not having a job so I've decided to apply for a Fás course but I literally know nothing about them. I have emailed fás and mentioned that I would like to do a legal secretary course with them and they do offer one but I can't find any further information on where I go to study the course,if its a study at home course, etc....

Can anyone offer some help? Or indeed has anyone done one of these fás courses and if so what are they like?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

martinak89 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer some help? Or indeed has anyone done one of these fás courses and if so what are they like?

FAS courses depend very much on the motivation of the instructor, is he/she is pushed about it.

Most of them are institutionalised i.e. being doing it for years and just treat it as a regular 9 to 5 job with little enthusiasm and this reflects in the way they treat their classes.

Did a FAS course a few years back and the instructor didn't bother his barney, the class was just left to their own devices for most of the day it ended up a complete waste of time, i made a complaint about it but it fell on deaf ears.

If you are going to do a course try (if you can) getting in touch with others who have done it to see if its worth you're while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Go on to the fas website, go to the job skeeker page, you'll find a link on top of the page with "find a course", hit that and follow the details, hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Hi OP

I did an Office adminstration Traineeship with FAS, I unfortunately got let go in my job in retail as our shop closed down so I felt like a change having no secretarial experience I said I might as well give it a shot. It was 7ish months long and we did a work placement as well which gave me great experience. And I eventually got a job in an admin role.

Our instructor was really good, had loads of experience and wasn't a bit institutionalised/set in their ways by FAS as she was only hired on a contract basis and I think she was happy to get the work. Suppose it really depends whos going to be your tutor and also the people in your class can really affect your learning abilty if they are just on it to stop loosing their welfare but you just need to ignore them and get on with it.:p

Best of luck and maybe go down to FAS office and see what they have, they will put you on a list, just keep on to them as they will eventually place you on one. I kept nagging!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Yeah you'll have to call in. And most likely make an appointment to speak to someone, but they sign you up in person. I did a FAS course over the summer, instructor was brilliant, really knew his stuff. It was in Digital Imaging. The extra money was brilliant too! They also give you rent allowance if you have to move- I had moved to the area literally two weeks before I started and hadnt known about the course so I missed out on that :P But if you cant find work and there's a course you're interested in I'd say do it! I dont think they'll let you know if anything is coming up in your interest though, I asked before and she just told me to "keep an eye on their site" which might not change for weeks then when you dont check it something could have been and gone :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

If Fas don't have anything suitable in your area you could always start a course at the local college and claim BTEA, as long as you have been signing for 9 months or more.

Advertisement