Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Accountants use Apple Mac for your day job

Options
  • 12-12-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

My laptop which I use for both work and personal computing is due an upgrade. I'm considering getting an Mac as I have an iPhone and getting an iPad mini so would like to keep everything in the one Eco-system. Anyone here use a Mac as part of their day job and if so how do you get around running windows based accounts and tax software?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

censuspro wrote: »
    My laptop which I use for both work and personal computing is due an upgrade. I'm considering getting an Mac as I have an iPhone and getting an iPad mini so would like to keep everything in the one Eco-system. Anyone here use a Mac as part of their day job and if so how do you get around running windows based accounts and tax software?

I switched over to a Mac about two years ago and am very pleased with the outcome. I have a virtualised version of Windows, which I use for running all my Windows applications: Parallels.

I can't comment on running accounting or tax software on it, but I've never heard of anyone having problems running Windows software this way. I should point that although I'm an FCA, I earn my living as a software engineer, so most of the software I'm running are software development tools, database servers such as MS SQL Server and so on.

The main things I get from the Mac are:
    - Simplicity and a consistent interface over time
    - A lot fewer updates and so on
    - All my devices are synced without a hassle (mail, calendars, images, bookmarks and so on)
    - Security: the big difference here is that the Mac is locked down by default, where as Windows is open, so there are a lot more security issues.

Hope this helps.

Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

You should make a list of all the software you are using and go to the manufacturer's website to see if they all have mac versions.

Mac has its fans, but honestly if you're going to be running virtual windows on it you should probably just stick to a pc.

Having said that I use android products so maybe that why I don't see the attraction of having everything on the apple ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

There are are two main options.

The first is that you can continue to use Windows Based software packages on your Mac. To do this though you would need to use the likes of Bootcamp or Parallels and then install windows in order to run them. To be honest if you are doing this you may be as well off still using a PC.

On the other hand you can use either Mac compatible packages that you install direct on your Mac or you can use a hosted or online option instead. An online option can be accessed via Safari meaning you don't have to worry about any installs and in many cases meaning you can access it from your Mac, your iPad or your iPhone.

In terms of packages you would need to research or ring providers in order to check compatibility with a Mac or if they have an online / hosted product variant that you could use.

In terms of Sage accounts products you could use Sage 50 hosted which is a hosted version of standard Sage 50 that is suitable for a Mac.

Alternatively you could use Sage One. Sage One Accountants Edition which is free of charge. This will let you link to and view clients data within Sage One. It is fully online which means you can access from any internet compatible device including your Mac or your iPhone and iPad.

I am connected to the company

tony81 wrote: »
    Mac has its fans, but honestly if you're going to be running virtual windows on it you should probably just stick to a pc.

Having said that I use android products so maybe that why I don't see the attraction of having everything on the apple ecosystem.

With Parallels it's integrated at the UI level, so cut/copy/paste, print, even saving and opening files all work.

As I already said simplicity and security are important for me. I support 5 home users and it far easier for me set up and manage restricted accounts handle updates, etc...

I earn my living designing and coding for Windows, but after 22 years of it, I would never use it again as my main OS! Life is too short spend fiddling incompatible drivers and what not.

With the current down turn may clients are starting to look at the total cost of ownership and realising that a single vendor is certainly a strong possibility, as there is just so much software out there now that all needs can be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I earn my living designing and coding for Windows, but after 22 years of it, I would never use it again as my main OS! Life is too short spend fiddling incompatible drivers and what not.

No idea about managing user accounts...

But windows just works and drivers are rarely an issue for people whose hardware consists of a hp printer.

You haven't convinced me of the benefits of mac with parallels v windows for what the op described.

• Advertisement

tony81 wrote: »
    You haven't convinced me of the benefits of mac with parallels v windows for what the op described.

Oh I'm too old to be religious about technology! But I think the only way to "get it", is to experience it. The big thing for the Apple customers is that "your stuff" is available on all your devices, without you having to make it happen, this kind of thing:

- You record someone's contact details on your IPhone and later when you want to send them an email from your desktop all you have to do is start typing there name in the To field and it is there!

- Scan a document at the client's premises on your IPad and view it later on the desktop, phone or even an IPodtouch, all without having to make it happen.

- The same goes for photos, documents, music, bookmarks etc..

- Get a new device, simply login and within a few minutes you have access to all your stuff.

Sure there are other enabling technologies around that can help you do this, but to date I've not seen anything as simple to set up as the Apple.

The OP wants to use his machine for both work and home use and I'm just saying that Parallels is a way to get around the issue of having to run certain Windows Packages while still getting the benefits of having his IPhone and IPad integrated with the desktop.

Advertisement