Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the home birthing room?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just wondering what is the home birthing room? A private room? :o

It was a question on my birth plan, Do you wish to use the home birth room if available?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What hospital is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I'm in limerick too and was wondering the same thing! I just ticked yes LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ring the hospital and ask and come back and tell us. I'm very curious! I'd guess it's a room with minimal medical equipment, soft lighting, music etc where the emphasis is on natural birthing.

In limerick maternity?? Haha seems unlikely IMO! It would be nice if they would even keep all of the seats in the appointment area much less have a soothing birthing area! Hopefully I'll be in the next couple of days here and I'll inquire then! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Rachineire wrote: »
    In limerick maternity?? Haha seems unlikely IMO! It would be nice if they would even keep all of the seats in the appointment area much less have a soothing birthing area! Hopefully I'll be in the next couple of days here and I'll inquire then! :)

Ha ha. I can't imagine such a room in limerick maternity... Nothing soothing about the place!! Would love to hear if there is though.

Blueskye wrote: »
    Ha ha. I can't imagine such a room in limerick maternity... Nothing soothing about the place!! Would love to hear if there is though.

well they keep the lights pretty low in there...thats soothing...kinda!

Ah i shouldn't talk bad about the place. they do the best with what they have. and I'm about to have a baby in there...yikes. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Rachineire wrote: »

well they keep the lights pretty low in there...thats soothing...kinda!

Ah i shouldn't talk bad about the place. they do the best with what they have. and I'm about to have a baby in there...yikes. :confused:

No you're right, they do their best but it is a bit manic. Oh I'll be there myself in a few months time. You'll be fine :)

I rang the maternity.

It's a room with all the equipment tight in there. (limited amount of equipment as How strange guessed)

You're not allowed to have an epidural in there but you can have Pethidine and Entonox (gas and air)

I definately don't want an Epidural anyway. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

It's a bit of a misleading name for it?!
    Might it be meant for home birth transfers, and then if there are none, hospital patients can avail of it?

• Advertisement

She said it's like the other 8 rooms in the maternity but with less equipment.

I'm sure alot of people would tick yes to avail of it, depending on your condition on the day and if the room is free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Nicky30 wrote: »
    She said it's like the other 8 rooms in the maternity but with less equipment.

I'm sure alot of people would tick yes to avail of it, depending on your condition on the day and if the room is free ;)

Totally agree! I imagine its a bit cosier than the very hospitally rooms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

They're usually called 'home from home rooms' - the usual 'equipment' is hidden away so it's less clinical and more homelike. The environment you give birth in has an effect on how well you cope. Mums who labour in home from home relaxed environments tend to request less pain relief.

Advertisement