Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IF I start work will daughter lose grant?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

HI i'm currently on lone parent payment and my oldest has just started college and just received the special rate for the grant. I have two much younger children and am looking to get back to work.

I've interviewed for a full time job and salary is 30K but by the time I cover petrol, parking and childcare I'll really only end up breaking even for first few months. Next year should be a bit better as youngest will have playschool covered.

Anyhow, my query is will my oldest child in college lose the special rate grant? Do the awarding bodies take outgoings into account such as mortgage etc? i think I would be off of lone parents but would be getting FIS. I really want to try and get back to work and willing to take short term hit but I can't afford to subsidise my daughter.

Or is it possible for her to apply as independent? She really is at this stage as I'm not contributing towards college expenses. The only payment I get for her is 29 euro per week for lone parents but that would be gone. I can't afford to pay everything as I get nothing towards mortgage, but dont' want to end up worse off if I do get a job.. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

As far as I know, the special rate is awarded to those with income of under €22,703. So, going by that, she would lose it. As far as applying independently, I'm unsure. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

6)If there is an increase in the income of any of the persons whose income is under consideration,between 1 January following the reference period and the end of the academic year,any grant awarded shall continue to be paid until the end of that academic year. Part5

Basically my undertanding based on the above wording from their own rules is that she would hold onto the special rate this acadenic year and it would be reassessed next year

Edit; Also - could you not apply to the community welfare for mortgage assistance

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks guys, really hard to balance this out as I could actually end up worse off after paying childcare and then if my oldest was to lose money from the grant as well it would impact her as well. I spoke to the community welfare officer a good while back and she told me that I wouldn't get mortgage interest supplement MIS as my husband's name is still on the deeds of the house. We haven't got the judicial separation as I was hoping to sort some stuff out in mediation but not looking likely. Very frustrating situation as I want to try and get back to work full time as can't survive like this. I'm not getting child benefit for my oldest since the start of 6th year and she didn't get the dole during the summer and will be the same this year.
    If anyone has any info regarding her being treated independently would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

dubdub123 wrote: »
    If anyone has any info regarding her being treated independently would appreciate it.

Hi, I got this from the citizen's information site: If you were ordinarily resident with your parents from October 1 of the year before the year of entry to the course, you are considered dependent on your parents and your income (if any) is assessed together with your parents' income(s). An allowance is made for your earnings outside of term-time – up to €3,809 currently.

Independent mature candidates are candidates aged over 23 who live separately from their parents from 1 October of the year before the year of entry to the course. If you are an independent student, you are assessed on your own income (and that of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, if applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

So even if she was to move out now (which is probably what she's going to try and do to find a summer job), she'd still be counted as being dependent on me. I was thinking she might move in with a family member. Really frustrating that any effort I'm making to improve the situation may actually result in us being even worse off financially..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dubdub123 wrote: »
    So even if she was to move out now (which is probably what she's going to try and do to find a summer job), she'd still be counted as being dependent on me.

Yes

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    Classes of applicant
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.
    (2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved
    post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at
    their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply
    for the duration of their studies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

I think they base it on the previous years earnings .Next summers applications will be assessed on income Jan 2012 to Dec 2012. So next year she will be grand. 2014 application would take next years 2013 earnings into account so she would get full grant but not top up grant.
    I am the opposite to you. lost job in June. Last years income over 22700 so did not get top up . Next year will take earnings to June plus social welfare ,around €24000 so will miss out again. They take no account of bills or mortgage . If you have young kids coming up do your calculations well. even if you are 1 cent over they will not allow top up.

Advertisement