Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCartney to fill in for Kurt Cobain

Options
  • 12-12-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Holy ****, please tell me 12-12-12 is the new April Fool's and that this is a ****ing joke.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1212/breaking24.html

Paul McCartney will perform a new song with Nirvana tonight.
    Former Beatle Paul McCartney is set to take Kurt Kobain’s place during Nirvana's reunion performance tonight.
    Mr McCartney will join Foo Fighters front man Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic, who have not been on stage together for 20 years.
    The union came about after Mr Grohl invited Mr McCartney to join his former band mates. Since then they have been working in secret and will perform a new song tonight.
    McCartney told The Sun newspaper: "I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said: 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?'
    "And somebody whispered to me: 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it."

The band will also be joined by guitarist Pat Smear, who performed alongside Nirvana during their final six months.
    The 12-12-12 concert, in aid of Superstorm Sandy victims, will also see Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and The Who performing in Madison Square Gardens.
    It will be streamed live online from 12.30am GMT and will be available for up to 2 billion people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A large part of me just died :mad:

McCartney told The Sun newspaper: "I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said: 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?'
    "And somebody whispered to me: 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it."
    Heh, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the reporting on this is a little misleading. They're reporting it like, "Paul is to take Kurt's place in a Nirvana tribute", when in reality it's a collaboration between the surviving members of Nirvana and Paul McCartney. Bit of an odd pairing, but we've seen odder.

If the plan was to get up there and blast out smells like teen spirit or all apologies, Grohl would probably do it himself or get a contemporary of Kurt's, like Eddie Vedder, to fill in.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

When it comes to stuff like this it's pretty simple. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Yeah people seem to think he's gonna go up there blasting out Nirvana classics when really its just a song they've all done together which I can see being good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Kurt Cobain would have found this idea very cool considering the esteem he held the Beatles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Seriously, isn't this a fundraiser?! And this will be a draw. Lest you all forget a couple of things- Kurt was a massive Beatles fan, not to mention him being no stranger to lean times. If he could give his blessing, I'm sure he would. In some contexts, the upkeep of 'cool' and apparent credibility is definitely secondary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Yeah people seem to think he's gonna go up there blasting out Nirvana classics when really its just a song they've all done together which I can see being good!

er wont go over board ..imo while grohl has done a few ok songs this sounds like a mismatch of epic proportions of course i could be wrong..
    wasnt jared leto? playing kurt in a movie?what happened to that .a great performance of pennyroyal tea but then zzz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I wonder will the new song be a medley?

All You Need Is Tourettes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Christ Macca is some dick. Can't abide him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They didn't play Nirvana songs, they played a new tune they wrote together for Dave's Sound City movie called Cut Me Some Slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Bit of a Stone Roses Love Spreads vibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Would have loved to have heard Nirvana tackling Mull Of Kintyre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's not a Nirvana reunion, it's not Macca replacing Kurt, it's guys who happened to be in a band called Nirvana joined by some guy from the Beatles recording and performing new material. No Beatles or Nirvana songs in sight, just a collaboration if you dig it you do if not....

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Its really the Foo Fighters with McCartney and Novoselic... Smear and Grohl are from the Foos obviously.

Sure its for charity... nothing wrong with that... McCartney's actually done more cool music in the last 15 years than "uncool" music, with the Fireman records, the Liverpool Sound Collage, his "Chaos And Creation" album, and various other bits and pieces. This fits in with that.

Would people object as much if it was Robert Plant or Iggy Pop or someone with more "cred"? Of course they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Never a big Nirvana or Beatles fan but actually thought that was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I thought it was a brilliant performance, McCartney stole the show with his band and The Who were awesome. Starkey brought his A game! Need to get some Wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Its really the Foo Fighters with McCartney and Novoselic... Smear and Grohl are from the Foos obviously.

Sure its for charity... nothing wrong with that... McCartney's actually done more cool music in the last 15 years than "uncool" music, with the Fireman records, the Liverpool Sound Collage, his "Chaos And Creation" album, and various other bits and pieces. This fits in with that.

Would people object as much if it was Robert Plant or Iggy Pop or someone with more "cred"? Of course they wouldn't.

Lets face it, Foo's are an average middle of the road band but their music will never be as relevant or influential then Nirvana's. Would they have been as successful to start with if they didnt feature ex Nirvana members? Call it Foo fighters featuring Krist and Paul Mac if you want but its about as close to a Nirvana reunion as we could come, without Kurt obviously. ( I assume you are aware Pat Smear was also in Nirvana for a while)

What i would like to see and Im surprised hasnt happened to some degree is some Nirvana shows featuring different singers from that era or who were later influenced by Nirvana(Eddie vedder, Chris Cornell, jerry Cantrell, Mark Lanegen, Josh Homme, Scott Weiland Brandon Boyd from Incubus etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

UUGGGH Ill just pretend this never happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

dar926 wrote: »
    UUGGGH Ill just pretend this never happened

I agree, those guys shouldn't be allowed to watch McCartney, never mind jam with him....

• Advertisement

I agree, those guys shouldn't be allowed to watch McCartney, never mind jam with him....

Dont get me wrong... I like McCartney and the beatles were Kurt Cobains fav band... but some things just dont mix well.. like orange and chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

but some things just dont mix well.. like orange and chocolate :)

:eek:

Still drunk?

grindle wrote: »

:eek:

Still drunk?

One of my pet hates lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Dont get me wrong... I like McCartney and the beatles were Kurt Cobains fav band... but some things just dont mix well.. like orange and chocolate :)

I cringed as much as the rest when I heard about it, but it actually wasn't that bad imo, kinda similar to what Grohl and Josh Homme were up to in Them Crooked Vultures.....

(I think with the bassist from Led Zeppelin, dont quote me on that though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Fieldog wrote: »
    (I think with the bassist from Led Zeppelin, dont quote me on that though)

Yes, John Paul Jones. Decent band too I must say.

lertsnim wrote: »

Yes, John Paul Jones. Decent band too I must say.

Yes i suppose i wouldnt be opposed to a collaboration for charity or whatever reason... what got me is the way I picked it up... that McCartney had joined or was to lead a reformed Nirvana... I dont think either set of fans would be happy with that...

Advertisement