Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Tie for an afters? Do I have to?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    Yes, another black tie wedding query. Couldn't find anything that related directly to my situation though. A mate of mine is getting married soon. I got an invite to the afters which starts late enough (21:00). It says black tie on the invite. I can't simply pass of wearing a black suit though, as the only suit I have is a grey one I got for a previous wedding. Someone mentioned that at the time I'd be going at, my grey suit with a dickey bow would suffice however the last thing I want to do is turn up to a sea of black in my grey suit. Is renting a tux the only way to go for me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

How do,
    Yes, another black tie wedding query. Couldn't find anything that related directly to my situation though. A mate of mine is getting married soon. I got an invite to the afters which starts late enough (21:00). It says black tie on the invite. I can't simply pass of wearing a black suit though, as the only suit I have is a grey one I got for a previous wedding. Someone mentioned that at the time I'd be going at, my grey suit with a dickey bow would suffice however the last thing I want to do is turn up to a sea of black in my grey suit. Is renting a tux the only way to go for me?

I wouldn't go to an afters that expected me to hire a tux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Pretty much the above.

I actually think that it is horribly unfair of people to insist on Blacktie for the day.
    You are travelling, gifting and possible paying for a room or taking time off work. Why would couples feel that it is right to force guys to rent a tux? Most guys do not own one.

To ask you to wear a tux to the afters (when most people will have removed the jacket/dickie) is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Black tie for the plate lickers ball seems a bit ott to be honest! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

do not hire a tux for that.

by 9 o'clock, most suit jackets and bow ties are off anyway. Ive never seen afters guests wearing tuxes at black tie affairs.

"plate lickers ball". Robbing that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

We are having a Black Tie wedding, Wouldnt expect people going to afters to wear a Tux.. and To be honest Our tux Rental is only 29Euro... Its cheaper than buying a Shirt and Tie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I get to reuse a shirt and tie (and have dozens of them anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

OP, just wear black slacks and a white shirt. Most lads'll have the dinner jacket and dickie bow off long before 9.

Have never seen the attraction of black-tie. Just makes your wedding look like a debs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We had a black tie wedding. We only had a few afters guests and it was 50/50 on whether the guys wore tuxes. I'd say you'll be fine in trousers and a nice shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Cheers for the responses everyone. It'll be black slacks, shirt and dickie bow I guess. Gonna be freezing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Bring a jacket. Once you get in there it'll be thrown on the back of a chair anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement