Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album/single/mixtape/letdown of the year

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

Album = napalm just edges it for me, great album and comeback from xzibit , very well balanced and produced.

Life is good from nas and the greatest story never told chapter 2 by Saigon ran a close 2nd and 3rd

Single = Louis XIII from xzibit followed closely with daughters from nas.

Mixtape = Dom Kennedy the yellow album

Letdown = GKMC by Lamar , just not mad on it at all. Good album just not what I expected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Album: GFID - Rozay. Best in the game atm.

Single: Kendrick Lamar - The Jig is Up (Dump'n). Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo!!!

Mixtape: Don't listen to mixtapes. Pointless

Letdown: Nas - Life is Good. Dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Album: Most of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp

Song: cartoons and cereal.

Mixtape: Royalty Childish Gambino.

Letdown: C-Rayz Walz – The Code. Probably, have not listened to all of it yet. But disappointed by the bits I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Forgot about cartoons and cereal , nice shout.

Forgot about cartoons and cereal , nice shout.

My only problem with GKMC (besides the skits) was that this was not on it, and no Black Hippy song on it.

My only problem with GKMC (besides the skits) was that this was not on it, and no Black Hippy song on it.

Ye the skits can be annoying but I suppose he's trying to tell a story through them. My problem is i find it a bit boring, I don't like lamars flow on a lot of the songs not too mention the majority of his lyrics. No where near as good as section 80 on any level for me , I can't help but compare them.

I think it was either Schoolboy or jay rock that said there will never be a black hippy album recently !

• Advertisement

Ye the skits can be annoying but I suppose he's trying to tell a story through them. My problem is i find it a bit boring, I don't like lamars flow on a lot of the songs not too mention the majority of his lyrics. No where near as good as section 80 on any level for me , I can't help but compare them.

I think it was either Schoolboy or jay rock that said there will never be a black hippy album recently !

They are pointless imo at all times but are definitely pointless and annoying beyond the first listen.

The songs say it all and better. Schoolboy I think. Would be a shame, I hoped they would after they all released a major-ish solo albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

LUPE wrote: »
    Mixtape: Don't listen to mixtapes. Pointless

I disagree. Some of the best music I've heard this year has been on mixtapes or EPs. Just because it's released commercially doesn't make it better.

I'll add my list another time. I've too much work to do atm to sit down and think about it.

They are pointless imo at all times but are definitely pointless and annoying beyond the first listen.

The songs say it all and better. Schoolboy I think. Would be a shame, I hoped they would after they all released a major-ish solo albums.

Ah I reckon they'll give in eventually, the demand will get the better of them. Tbh it's best they release the group album now imo after the main man Lamars solo.

Dre signed black hippy the group to aftermath aswell so it's more than likely bullsh*t from Q, I highly doubt dre and jimmy would of signed the group if this was the case.

Ah I reckon they'll give in eventually, the demand will get the better of them. Tbh it's best they release the group album now imo after the main man Lamars solo.

Dre signed black hippy the group to aftermath aswell so it's more than likely bullsh*t from Q, I highly doubt dre and jimmy would of signed the group if this was the case.

I think they got signed to interscope (jointly with TDE) whereas Kendrick was the only one signed to Aftermath (jointly with TDE).

Hope they release an album sooner rather than later, don't want their buzz to drop before they release.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Album = toss up between Xzibit - Napalm and Macklmore -The Heist , really enjoy both albums can listen to each over and over , Honourable mention Vinnie paz gods of the serengti , Blaq Poet EBK

Single = .you can't be Neutral on a moving train , Vinnie Paz

Mixtape = Haven't listened to a load of mixtapes , out of the ones I have , Prodigy Hnic, or smoke dza Kony , where pretty decent

Letdown = . DMX , was so looking forward to hearing DMX .............album was pure drivel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm struggling with this, there has been so many great albums and mixtapes, so many let downs, so many great tracks....

Album - It's really a toss up between Aesop Rock, El-P, Pac Div (this was a massive suprise for me), Oddisee, Dark Time Sunshine, Apollo Brown & O.C., Clear Soul Forces, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Killer Mike, P.O.S, Substantial

I cant decide!

Song - Big Beast

Mixtape - Action Bronson - Blue Chips or THURZ - 357 & Queens
    honorable mention to the lads from Das Racist who have released some great mixtapes this year.

Letdown - Nas - we all thought this was going to be it, the return of Nas. But it ended up being something that was good in places but all over the shop for the rest.

One noticeable omission is Kendrick Lemar - GKMC. I'm still on the fence about this. I dont think that it's the perfect album, i hate the Swimming Pools song except for the new extended piece which is great, I hate the song with Dre.
    But with the hatred I have for these songs, they fit the album.
    I find myself listening to the album alot, but I am constantly questioning myself why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Not sure about single, mixtape or letdown, I'll have to think about those but, for me, album of the year is GKMC, no other album comes close to it. Just brilliant.

baddebt wrote: »
    Album = toss up between Xzibit - Napalm and Macklmore -The Heist , really enjoy both albums can listen to each over and over , Honourable mention Vinnie paz gods of the serengti , Blaq Poet EBK

Single = .you can't be Neutral on a moving train , Vinnie Paz

Mixtape = Haven't listened to a load of mixtapes , out of the ones I have , Prodigy Hnic, or smoke dza Kony , where pretty decent

Letdown = . DMX , was so looking forward to hearing DMX .............album was pure drivel

Napalm seems to be the most popular choice and rightfully so , very good album.

Iv noticed dmx there and I would agree it was a huge letdown, I liked it on my first few listens but I find myself going over the same 2 or 3 tracks.

I had a feeling it was going to be awful when he dropped that horrible mixtape in the build up to it. He's struggling ATM , you can see it in his interviews and hear it in his music, he's trying to recapture that sound and energy he use to have but it's just gone IMO.

The man has too many demons to battle but did entertain me with one of the best interviews of the year , so openly honest about drake, young money , officer Ross. He's so blunt just saying it how it is, something I always admired about him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Album = Mackelmore x Ryan Lewis - The Heist. I honestly think it's by far the best album both lyrically and production wise this year by a distance. Lewis's use of strings and percussion is just amazing and Ben Haggerty's sincerity and honesty on tracks like Starting Over, Neon Cathedral, Same Love and Make the Money is goosebump inducing. Quality all over.

Single = Nas - The Don. I would have picked Nasty but it was released in 2011. I think Life if Good got little love on this forum and I don't get it, it's his best album in, well, maybe since Illamtic. At least in the sense that besides one **** song (summer on smash, seriously, swizz beats needs to f*ck right off) it's solid front to back, some people say it's "got no theme" or other such nonsense, but really, what album from a major artist these days does? Besides the odd concept album? Very few for sure. Nas for once managed to pick good beats the whole way through and lay off the preachy nonsense lyrically. I really like the album.

Mixtape = Joe Budden - Loose Quarter. Joey is probably the most under rated rapper in the world if you ask me. The mood muzik mixtapes are probaly the best colelction of mix tapes of the last 10 years and Joe follows on from them perfectly. this could easily be an album in and of itself, features from people like Ab-soul, Royce, Kobe and Tsu-Surf. For a free release, it's bloody great

Letdown = Slaughterhouse Welcome to: Our House, considering the group consists of rappers on the level of Joey, royce, Joell and Crook, it was a ****ing terrible album. Yet more proof that Em cannot produce for ****, as exec producer he ruined the album. One or two decent tracks but mostly garbage. Their first album was infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Album: Nas - Life is Good
    Single: Killer Mike - Reagan
    Letdown:G.O.O.D. Music - Cruel Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Album: Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Single: Killer Mike - Big Beast (featuring Bun B, T.I. and Trouble)

Mixtape: Childish Gambino - Royalty

Letdown: Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumours

Single = Nas - The Don. I would have picked Nasty but it was released in 2011. I think Life if Good got little love on this forum and I don't get it, it's his best album in, well, maybe since Illamtic. At least in the sense that besides one **** song (summer on smash, seriously, swizz beats needs to f*ck right off) it's solid front to back, some people say it's "got no theme" or other such nonsense, but really, what album from a major artist these days does? Besides the odd concept album? Very few for sure. Nas for once managed to pick good beats the whole way through and lay off the preachy nonsense lyrically. I really like the album

agreed 100 per cent, i also dont know why its catching so much negativity around here. Its not better than gods son though imo but it is his best piece of work in years, he's released a lot of rubbish if we are honest. The whole theme behind what he was going through in recent years kelis etc was all fitted in very nicely.

I loved buddens debut stuff in his early years, great rapper but for some reason never got into his mixtape stuff despite his reputation on the mixtape circuit.
    Letdown: Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumours

this was the first big boi/outkast bit of music i ever bought, im not liking it myself at all either tbh. I like descending, objectum sexuality and in the a which is an obvious banger.

speaking of in the a... it has possibly one of the best verses of the year with t.i , just kills that beat but along side it has a mare of a verse from ludacris honestly he nearly ruins the song, disgracefully bad on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

download mood muzik 1 - 4, seriously, as series, they are classic mixtapes.

Advertisement