Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen built on top of tiles

Options
  • 11-12-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get new kitchen tiles fitted but am worried it cannot be done as the kitchen has been built on top of the tiles. I know behind the kickboards the kitchen stands on feet and am hoping we can just leave it sitting on the existing tiles and replace the visible floor space. But there are also side panels, which come down to the floor which I'd imagine would need to be cut around somehow.

Just wondering in general, is this considered a problem or is it common?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Are you removing old tiles before the new ones go down?
    (people have been known to tile over existing)
    but either way,
    its usually easier to cut new tiles to fit existing furniture. dont worry about upgrading in future, if you make any changes you are probably going to change tiles again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭iMyself

whizbang wrote: »
    Are you removing old tiles before the new ones go down?
    (people have been known to tile over existing)
    but either way,
    its usually easier to cut new tiles to fit existing furniture. dont worry about upgrading in future, if you make any changes you are probably going to change tiles again anyway.
    Yes I want to remove the old tiles. Thats the part I'm worried about, that they can't be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

End panels should screw off so you can get access. The leg on the units should be adjustable and can be raised, one by one, as you work to remove the tiles. You should be able to remove all the tiles this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

harry21 wrote: »
    End panels should screw off so you can get access. The leg on the units should be adjustable and can be raised, one by one, as you work to remove the tiles. You should be able to remove all the tiles this way.
    It would be very difficult to remove tile under the unit support legs, adjustable or not. Impossible almost, and unnecessary.

Just remove the kick boards and remove the tiles up to just beyond this point. Retile, and refit kick boards. As for the side panels, take them off, and use a 4" angle grinder to scribe along the existing tiles. Removing the side panel will allow you approx 15-20mm margin. Lump hammer and chisel next ;)

Advertisement