Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xero - Accountancy Software

Options
  • 11-12-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Currently using MYOB for Mac for all my accounting. There's nothing wrong with it per say, but it could do with a serious upgrade.

I've seen Xero mentioned on here, and elsewhere. Was looking for any personal experiences with using it. Pros and cons.

Also, are there any features that won't work in Ireland? I know the online banking end of it doesn't work here, just wondering if theres anything else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Not sure about Xero but we use Twinfield which is another online package and its pretty good. The compatibility with online banking is a big plus but its downfall is that it doesnt really support vat on a cash receipts basis. (there is talk of this being facilitated in future upgrades but that doesn't appear to be in the immediate future)

We also give full support to our clients who use this package which is a bonus for them.

(Just so people know, I don't work for Twinfield. I work in a practice which uses the package but gains no benefit from other people using it)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Is there any particular reason/need that you want an online package?

I use both Sage One and Xero to a small extent in work.

I would not recommend Sage One as it is extremely slow and cumbersome.
    No batch invoicing, payments etc.

Xero is better and seems to be more in depth and usable.

If it was my choice I would not use either or any online package at all to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'd have to agree. Xero is very slow and the support is terrible. It also only has a fraction of the features of a program like Sage or Pegasus.

Unless there's a specific reason you need it online, I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Answered all my concerns!!

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

We use an online system so that our accountants can look at our system and rectify any problems we have with it.

We use Sage one and its perfect for a straight forward professional services company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

When looking for accounts software the main things to consider are what you need it to do and how it can meet those needs. For example:

- Do you need to be able to access your software online and via mobile devices? Are you mobile and working from various locations or working from the same place all the time? Is there consistent internet access in the area where you work?

- What features do you need the software to have? At a basic level most accounts packages will do the likes of VAT reports, bank reconciliation, customer and supplier invoices and basic reports. Think about what you need beyond that - stock control? Multi user access? multiple currency functionality? Ensure you know what you need so that you can compare software options to this list

- What other packages do you need to link to? Was MYOB integrating with anything for you and do you need to maintain those links?

- What legislation impacts you? Ensure any packages you consider are compliant

There are a lot of packages out there and I would advise to either take a trial or view a demonstration before committing to one.

If you are looking to go down the online route Sage One could be worth looking at. It is an online package and a 30 day trial is available. I am connected to the company.

Advertisement