Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mr Muscle treatment for sticky Turbos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You mean the EGR, not the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

dgt wrote: »
    You mean the EGR, not the turbo

No,,the Turbo...

The tube goes down through the EGR,,but into the Turbo...The solution then works on the soot/gunk build up on the vanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

My mistake, didn't see the vnt part :o

Carry on....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sounds like DIY Seafoam (ok thats already a DIY, but at least a dedicated product) or Terraclean. Oven cleaner is pretty harsh, but so is carbon build up. Its probably worth a shot as long as you dont mind the possibility of breaking something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

MrFrisp wrote: »
    No,,the Turbo...

The tube goes down through the EGR,,but into the Turbo...The solution then works on the soot/gunk build up on the vanes.

It might work but the soot goes through the system. This can't be without consequences.

Each to there own but I wouldn't clean anything like an EGR, intake or turbo still attached. I would take it off, clean it out, stick it back on.

• Advertisement

It might work but the soot goes through the system. This can't be without consequences.

Each to there own but I wouldn't clean anything like an EGR, intake or turbo still attached. I would take it off, clean it out, stick it back on.

Well,,of all the reading I have done so far,,I don't think anyone has broken anything. I think the worst that has happened is that the treatment hasn't worked.
    I defo won't be taking it off...I'm not confident enough to do it while it's on the car.:D
    In fact,I'm not confident enough to do it at all...Hence My post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I did this on my last car, removed half of the engine ancillaries to get at the EGR valve and pipe, took them out altogether and cleaned them both with Mr Muscle oven cleaner.

It's good stuff but my god I had to scrub an awful lot and let the cleaner sit in both parts for ages. No matter how much I scrubbed, the carbon was still caked onto it. This would lead me to believe that by doing this DIY, you're only skimming the surface as it were with regards getting rid of carbon build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Well,,of all the reading I have done so far,,I don't think anyone has broken anything. I think the worst that has happened is that the treatment hasn't worked.
    I defo won't be taking it off...I'm not confident enough to do it while it's on the car.:D
    In fact,I'm not confident enough to do it at all...Hence My post here.

Read through it there it seems alright actually, should just blow everything out the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Tried it a good few times, found it a temporary solution at best. The best result I saw from it was about 4 months relief from symptoms of sticky VNT.

Tried it a good few times, found it a temporary solution at best. The best result I saw from it was about 4 months relief from symptoms of sticky VNT.

Thanks George..

Good to have a professional opinion.

I think at this stage,,temporary is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gtturbokid

i used carb cleaner on the egr valve and manifold on my car i took them of and was caked with soot everywhere, i cleaned it all of, brought it for a drive was smokey for about 5 mins of driving hard then after that its smokeless worked like a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

Oven pride is much better but wear gloves!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Did this about 6 months ago on an A4 TDI. It was easy enough to do. Wasn't very generous with the Mr.Muscle cause I was a bit worried. Not problems since though so might give it a go again in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Be careful with oven cleaner on any aluminium parts. The chemicals in the oven cleaner can attack and corrode the aluminium which may lead to problems down the line.

Chimaera wrote: »
    Be careful with oven cleaner on any aluminium parts. The chemicals in the oven cleaner can attack and corrode the aluminium which may lead to problems down the line.

Done a fair bit of reading up about it...While one or two also mention that warning,,nobody has ever reported problems by having done it.
    Thanks for the heads-up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I need to do this, mine hasn't been cleaned in 150,000 miles, is it a hard job to take to EGR off a BKD 2.0 TDi.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I need to do this, mine hasn't been cleaned in 150,000 miles, is it a hard job to take to EGR off a BKD 2.0 TDi.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/page__hl__%20mr%20%20muscle%20%20vnt%20%20turbo%20%20treatment%20%20guide%20%20of%20%20sorts

Personally,,I'm not going to do my own.

I'm just not confident enough to go near a job like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DanTan

Hi, I am havin problems with my turbo.Do you spray the mr muscle through the air intake after the sensor on the air filter or how is it used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I wouldn't spray anything anywhere. Move the actuator with your hand in and out 100 times and it should improve if that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

DanTan wrote: »
    Hi, I am havin problems with my turbo.Do you spray the mr muscle through the air intake after the sensor on the air filter or how is it used?

No.

Follow the guide in the first post if you want to try this method. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement