Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell from dishwasher-repairman recommendation

Options
  • 11-12-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi

There is a smell coming from my dishwasher. I have cleaned it out & used a number of times those special cleaning products for dishwashers but the smell keeps coming back. I reckon that it might be coming from the pipe attached to the dishwasher, maybe it clogged or something with dirt.
    Can someone please recommended a repairman who I could get to come out and look at it? Would it be a plumber or repairman that is needed ?
    I've considered buying a new dishwasher but if the problem is with the pipe then there is no point.
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Try pulling the dishwasher out from under the counter and inspect the waste outlet hose. It normally just slots into a waste outlet down pipe .

It might just be loose allowing the waste smell to come back into the dishwasher cavity.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

dak wrote: »
    Try pulling the dishwasher out from under the counter and inspect the waste outlet hose. It normally just slots into a waste outlet down pipe .

It might just be loose allowing the waste smell to come back into the dishwasher cavity.

Thanks dak for your suggestion !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ivenus

Back again
    Dishwasher is still smelling.
    Anyone know if a plumber would able to do something with it? If there is a problem with the pipes etc being blocked, is it a plumber that would resolved it?
    Or am i better off just buying a new dishwasher?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Reading your thread title I was going to suggest lynx and a quiet word in his ear:)

Have you emptied the filter in the bottom of the dishwasher under the spray arm ..the one that traps food particles etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I've exactly the same problem- did all the rinses (vinegar,soda,bleach) still smells and half fills the sink! Any suggestions?

Are all your waste pipes going into one unit under the sink. If they are and you don't have a bend in the dishwasher waste pipe maybe your sink outlet has a blockage and sink waste is backing up into the dishwasher.

Are all your waste pipes going into one unit under the sink. If they are and you don't have a bend in the dishwasher waste pipe maybe your sink outlet has a blockage and sink waste is backing up into the dishwasher.
    Yes they are. All going into the one trap. Where is sink outlet, the far side of the trap? Should I stick a load of drain cleaner down the sink so? Thanks

Better to unscrew the "U" bend and clean it out !

Better to unscrew the "U" bend and clean it out !
    I did. Nothing in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭momec

If its backing up in the sink then the waste pipe is blocked leaving the sink somewhere ... i'd also look an see if the machine pipe is not kinked a bit someplace ... lift the manhole cover outside an run taps on sink an see if there a good flow outside ... the dish washer should be trapped on its own anyway an not done with these diy traps everyone uses these days

momec wrote: »
    If its backing up in the sink then the waste pipe is blocked leaving the sink somewhere ... i'd also look an see if the machine pipe is not kinked a bit someplace ... lift the manhole cover outside an run taps on sink an see if there a good flow outside ... the dish washer should be trapped on its own anyway an not done with these diy traps everyone uses these days
    Thanks I pulled the machine out and no links. Had the manholes open and the flow is good. Ill get drain unblocker down the sink and see if it helps

Could be the dishwasher adaptor, the connector between the U-bend and the dishwasher flexible hose that's blocked, I had that block once as the diameter of the pipe is narrowest at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Latro

Leave it wide open for the night right after the washing is finished and everything is still hot.

Oh and make sure the salt container is topped up.

Advertisement