Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

7 inch tablet with HDMI output

  • 10-12-2012 4:32pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Hi - I'd like to get a 7 inch tablet to use while travelling. I want it mainly for browsing and watching a bit of TV - I have a slingbox, but also use RTE player etc. I'm not in to games. I want one with HDMI output so that I can play back through a TV. I'm not terribly fussed about the price. Any advice?


Comments

  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Khannie


    Nexus 7.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Nexus 7 is a very nice tablet OK, but doesn't have HDMI out. Otherwise I'd get it.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Khannie


    Really? Oh, my apologies. I thought it had the HDMI out via OTG.

    edit: The googlebot confirms that you are right. That is very poor IMO. A major failing really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    BlackBerry playbook which is 179 in pcworld for 64gb


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    carter2 wrote: »
    Knight Onion - 7 Inch Capacitive Android 4.0 Tablet with 5 Points Touch (8GB, 1.2GHz, HDMI Out)
    This is the ultra thin tablet pc the world has been waiting for, it comes at a thickness of only 9mm. This tablet PC uses the latest Android OS Version 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich.

    The Android 4.0 enhances multi-tasking to a much easier and user friendly level for better performance. This powerful 7 inch android tablet from China will blow you away with its performance, low price tag and over design.

    Any idea where it can be bought?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ Tango One


    Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame is a good option cost about €150 or the Ainol Novo 7 crystal for about €100. Cheaper again would be the pipo s1 about €80.

    http://www.hardwareheroes.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Tango One wrote: »
    Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame is a good option cost about €150 or the Ainol Novo 7 crystal for about €100. Cheaper again would be the pipo s1 about €80.

    http://www.hardwareheroes.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

    Thanks a million for this - looks about the best i've seen so far.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 The_Thing


    cookie1977 wrote: »
    BlackBerry playbook which is 179 in pcworld for 64gb

    + For the Playbook.

    I've had mine for two weeks or so and am very pleased with it. A lot of Android apps have been ported over to it. I had thirteen apps open at one time and didn't experience any slowdown whilst using them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ Tango One


    vienne86 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this - looks about the best i've seen so far.
    I picked it over the nexus because of the HDMI out and SD slot.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Tango One wrote: »
    I picked it over the nexus because of the HDMI out and SD slot.
    Agreed. And reviews are mostly good.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    Galaxy Tab 7 has an HDMI adapter accessory on Samsung's Website.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Overheal wrote: »
    Galaxy Tab 7 has an HDMI adapter accessory on Samsung's Website.
    Thanks - I didn't realise this, though I think that having to buy and adapter is a bit of a pain.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Khannie


    vienne86 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for this - looks about the best i've seen so far.

    The aurora 2 is well worth a look IMO. If you're not in a rush you can pick it up very cheaply on aliexpress.




  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Khannie wrote: »
    The aurora 2 is well worth a look IMO. If you're not in a rush you can pick it up very cheaply on aliexpress.


    Very impressed with the specs for these ainol tablets. I see a quad core is due after Christmas, so I may just wait for that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    vienne86 wrote: »
    Thanks - I didn't realise this, though I think that having to buy and adapter is a bit of a pain.
    Beats them ug'ing up the device with 10 ports most consumers dont require the expense of I suppose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 garancafan


    3 more:-

    Amazon Kindle Fire HD
    Acer Iconia Tab A110
    Barnes & Noble Nook HD


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    garancafan wrote: »
    3 more:-

    Amazon Kindle Fire HD
    Acer Iconia Tab A110
    Barnes & Noble Nook HD

    Thanks - I had spotted the Acer Iconia, and it is still a runner for me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ Tango One


    There a good thread on slatedroid about Ainol quad core tablets.
    http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/39744-ainols-quad-core-era/


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Tango One wrote: »
    Ainol Novo 7 Fire/Flame is a good option cost about €150 or the Ainol Novo 7 crystal for about €100. Cheaper again would be the pipo s1 about €80.

    http://www.hardwareheroes.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

    For what it's worth, this is the one I am getting - I ordered this morning from this web site, and they have told me I will receive it by courier before Christmas - they replied to my query about this immediately. I'll let you know how I get on, in case anyone is interested. But thanks to everyone for your helpful contributions.:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ Tango One


    It's a nice tablet. I recommend flashing flambé rom or give cm10 a shot both available on slatedriod and they remove all the Chinese crap


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Tango One wrote: »
    It's a nice tablet. I recommend flashing flambé rom or give cm10 a shot both available on slatedriod and they remove all the Chinese crap
    Thanks - may come back to you about that. I am new to tablets!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 garancafan


    The_Thing wrote: »
    + For the Playbook.

    I've had mine for two weeks or so and am very pleased with it. A lot of Android apps have been ported over to it. I had thirteen apps open at one time and didn't experience any slowdown whilst using them.

    Have you ever connected the Blackberry to a HD TV? If so how does it perform?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ cookie1977


    garancafan wrote: »
    Have you ever connected the Blackberry to a HD TV? If so how does it perform?

    Yes, it works great. Great for playing HD movies. Any particular questions?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 The_Thing


    garancafan wrote: »
    Have you ever connected the Blackberry to a HD TV? If so how does it perform?

    Worked perfectly, my TV has 3 HDMI ports, All I had to do was use the TV's remote control to change one of the 3 HDMI's input modes from 'automatic' to 'scan' (or something like that) in order to have the image centered properly. After that happy days -and I only had to do the above once.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ claudscloe


    hey how are you getting on with the flame/fire tab??

    any thing to note i am thinking of getting one myself...


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    claudscloe wrote: »
    hey how are you getting on with the flame/fire tab??

    any thing to note i am thinking of getting one myself...

    Sorry for not getting back as I promised! I got the Ainol Fire just before Christmas. My first tablet and knew nothing about Android. Very good price, very good specs, but some people of Amazon had bad experiences, though most reviews were very good.

    Well, I love it to bits. Fabulous screen unfortunately Sky Go is not supported, but I have a Slingbox and it works well - using the sky remote is very fiddly, but it works. I wanted HDMI out port, and it works a treat. Also have attached a keyboard through the mini USB, though it has bluetooth as well.

    The browser sometimes hangs, but that could be me being impatient, and I can live with it.

    I consider this to have been a great buy - from my experience with it, I would recommend it. Great spec for the money. I bought from harewareheroes, who were quick to respond to my queries and very pleasant.

    I'd be interested to know how others have got on with this tablet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ Tango One


    Did you try any of the custom ROM's on it yet. I'm using flambe but might try some of the newer ones out now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    Tango One wrote: »
    Did you try any of the custom ROM's on it yet. I'm using flambe but might try some of the newer ones out now.

    No. I've done nothing. No issues with it. No popping sounds as reported by posters on some forums.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭ vienne86


    I am still very happy with my Ainol Fire - it has been loaned to friends travelling, has done a lot of travel with me, and has been used for all sorts. I am not a heavy user - sometimes it sits for the guts of a week without being used. But I still love it. It doesn't support Sky Go, but very few tablets do. Originally I was interested in the Acer Iconia A range, but couldn't get a supplier. I see that Argos now do the full range of Acer Iconia tablets, in case anyone is interested.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭ yoyo


    Moved from Comp & Tech


Advertisement