Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the soapbox

Options
  • 10-12-2012 1:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

There was a group of rather evangelical people outside the station last week. Shouting lots of godlike stuff at joe public & for whatever reason, I felt compelled to respond. But my calls at the speaker (reminded me of the young, wild -eyed preacher from "There Will Be Blood") were met with resistance from a couple of large born agains, who loomed over me. I was told to let the speaker speak, as this was a democracy. I countered that it was my democratic right to ask questions of him.

I don't know why I bothered. I learnt that the Earth is 6 thousand years old, it's been proved that fossils and carbon dating are forgeries and that there is only one true god. I asked did older gods not cut the mustard and was told there are no older gods. I pointed out that the oldest religion (excepting the "pagan" ones) was Hinduism. But it turns out, that's a lie too.

Jesus died for my sins and I better come round to his way of thinking (and by default, their way of thinking). It's all in the bible, apparently.

And the preacher himself? A 17 year old boy. I suggested he might have more fun, chasing girls and suchlike but that wasn't for him. Oh, no.

It was all very depressing and I'm starting to see more and more of this around London. And I thought this town was a haven for heathens! :rolleyes::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

old hippy wrote: »
    . And I thought this town was a haven for heathens! :rolleyes::D

That's probably what attracted them in the first place. The tend to see themsellves as:
    1607635-Female_lions_hunting_Ngorongoro_Tanzania_Ngorongoro.jpg

and heathens as:
    220px-Zebra_Botswana_edit02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

old hippy wrote: »
    It was all very depressing and I'm starting to see more and more of this around London. And I thought this town was a haven for heathens! :rolleyes::D
    Well, that sounds delightful. I may start to roam the streets of Manchester, hoping to come across such wonders. We have a crazy in the middle of town who, as far as I can tell, goes his own way re: religion. Sadly, I have never been allowed to draw him into conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's probably what attracted them in the first place. The tend to see themsellves as:
    1607635-Female_lions_hunting_Ngorongoro_Tanzania_Ngorongoro.jpg

and heathens as:
    220px-Zebra_Botswana_edit02.jpg

I've always felt like they see themselves more as
    b54cb48e5318ce09c1a9c1dc439100ab.image.220x550.jpg

And us as
    drowning.jpg

Of course, I see it more like
    Us
    280px-Bugatti_Veyron_16.4_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht_(1),_5._April_2012,_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

Them
    Pony-Rides-2-420x334.jpg

Advertisement