Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MF 178

Options
  • 10-12-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Whats you opinions on a massey 178 tractor, would they be as popular or sought after as a 185 or 188 and which was the best tractor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

17s not as sought after as a 185 or 188, dry brakes being the biggest letdown in the 17s, still a good oul tractor if its only for hobby purposes !

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

Ford4000 wrote: »
    17s not as sought after as a 185 or 188, dry brakes being the biggest letdown in the 17s, still a good oul tractor if its only for hobby purposes !

there is one up the road from me in a outbuilding, its got the square axles and wet brakes, are you sure they all had dry brakes

Ive never seen one with wet brakes unless it was converted but i could be wrong
    http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/0/4/6040-massey-ferguson-178.html

@ford4000, could have been, its got no power steering and im sure the 185 and 188 all come with P/S

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

2pack wrote: »
    @ford4000, could have been, its got no power steering and im sure the 185 and 188 all come with P/S
    the lack of p/s isnt that bad a complaint,it wasnt the greatest setup usually only had powered steering turning one way.

• Advertisement

but suppose better with it than without...
    Did the 185/188 all come with P/S

The PS system on those older masseys was bloody hideous if it wasnt cared and maintained, as mentioned full lock one way and half the other, at least without it the dam thing would stay in a straight line on the road !! I think all 185s and 188s had power steering alright ! 175s and 178s were a kind of a gremlin and the 248s werent always easy started in the cold either !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

The PS system on those older masseys was bloody hideous if it wasnt cared and maintained, as mentioned full lock one way and half the other, at least without it the dam thing would stay in a straight line on the road !! I think all 185s and 188s had power steering alright ! 175s and 178s were a kind of a gremlin and the 248s werent always easy started in the cold either !
    i dont think maintaining and caring it done it much good,my uncle down in ni had a 185 years ago with ps got it tightened up and adjusted by a retired mf mechanic worked lovely for about day, the next next day it was back to its old self,they are supposed to be hard enough to get right but that wont last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭himwdah

that powersteerin set up is sort of put her in gear and shell find her own way there as a man who 'loves' his says, our 265 is similar but we blame the loader

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

Not all 185's came with power steering like the 165's, we have a 168 and a 165 and have no problems with the steering and the 168 has a bit of wear on the axle, nwe used to do alot on the steerings of MF 100 series tractors - which most of them are all exported now days

• Advertisement

case956tom wrote: »
    i dont think maintaining and caring it done it much good,my uncle down in ni had a 185 years ago with ps got it tightened up and adjusted by a retired mf mechanic worked lovely for about day, the next next day it was back to its old self,they are supposed to be hard enough to get right but that wont last long.

Ya your right there, ofttn seen them re-adjusted and set up and as bad as ever in a few hours !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Ya your right there, ofttn seen them re-adjusted and set up and as bad as ever in a few hours !

how much are 178's goin for these days? one that would be driving and running, but rough body (new back tyres)

Advertisement