Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac - opinions?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Thinking of splashing out on an iMac - any opinions on the new one? Lack of a disc drive seems to be a bit of a bummer, but I could live with it -
    Anyone got one? Recommend?

Cheers
    SUMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Got one last week. Went for the higher spec 21.5 inch model because I wanted the fusion drive (not available on the lower spec). Also upped the RAM to 16gb as there's no way for owners to add RAM later. Both upgrades added €450 to the price bringing it up to almost €2,000, with a student discount. That's way more than I'd like to spend on a Mac. That said, I'm well pleased with the speed and happy with the machine, just a bit pissed with the price. Not bothered about the lack of a disc drive. Hardly use them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Thanks for the reply- no way to add RAM afterwards? I thought macs were easy to add RAM to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You won't miss the cd drive at all. I don't have one on my windows desktop or macbook air, and literally haven't had one single time where I've missed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

sumo12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply- no way to add RAM afterwards? I thought macs were easy to add RAM to?

Old models, yes. New ones, no. You can only add RAM on the 27-inch. There's no slot for RAM on the new 21-inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

That said - 8Gb is more than enough for the majority of users and will remain so for quite a while to come. The fusion drive is a snazzy piece of gear but again most people have no need for it. Paying 450 extra is fun but it's an indulgence more than a necessity :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Piliger wrote: »
    That said - 8Gb is more than enough for the majority of users and will remain so for quite a while to come. The fusion drive is a snazzy piece of gear but again most people have no need for it. Paying 450 extra is fun but it's an indulgence more than a necessity :)

I beg to differ! :D

My thinking was with no way of upgrading, that was the only way to maximise its longevity. I want this imac to last five years or more. That's about how long I've got out of previous models, but I've spent money on upgrading them along the way, so I reckon I'm spending now because I've no way of upgrading this model in the future. But you're right. Most people won't have a need for fusion drive or 16gb of RAM and might be better off not spending the extra €450 but the machine probably won't last as long, or be as effective for as long at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Thanks guys for the replies, my main use for RAM will be photo editing with Lightroom and DVD production with ProShow Gold. Will 8GB be enough? I understand macs require less RAM than windows PC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Lack of a disc drive seems to be a bit of a bummer

You can always get an external if you need it...

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Moved from Apple Media Devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

As i have everything else in the iRanch so to speak, can one of you guys advise what configuration of the new iMac i would need?

I have 326GB in iTunes between burned cds, music downloads and iBooks from iTunes Store. As my current PC is the only non Apple gizmo in my possession I was awaiting the new iMac with bated breath. What I want is an iMac that will play my music and DVD's; play vids downloaded from the Store and do all of this fast and without any niggles. Also, I'd like to buy an iMac with enough in reserve to last approx 5yrs.

Thanks in advance

P \m/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Thanks guys for the replies, my main use for RAM will be photo editing with Lightroom and DVD production with ProShow Gold. Will 8GB be enough? I understand macs require less RAM than windows PC's?

4GB is enough, 8GB is better, 16GB is best

and proshow gold isn't available for the Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Piliger wrote: »

I personally think if you are already paying for the luxury of a Mac, you may as well not skimp on an upgrade option that is actually worthy of the extra money.

An SSD or a Fusion Drive setup is easily the biggest upgrade any Mac (or computer) can get at this stage.

Advertisement