Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry Sir - I thought you were dead!

Options
  • 09-12-2012 5:29pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Driving along the dual carriageway between Limerick and Shannon, just coming up to the turn off for portdrine / cratloe when I saw this bundle at the side of the road. I often keep an eye out for animals knocked down, the Mrs has a soft heart and she can get a bit weepy if bambi / thumper was to be smeared across two lanes.

Nearly shat myself. Was an old man lying in the foetal position on the embankment. Pulled in ASAP and sprinted back to the man, who hadn't moved. I shook his arm, and he felt cold. Checked his throat and he had a pulse and was breathing. I was able to rouse him while I got the Mrs to ring for an ambulance. In the meantime, another car had also seen him and stopped, and another lady had gone all the way out to the underpass and back, as she'd seen no one stop when she spotted him.

Guy was quite confused. Kind of bloody looking around the mouth. Didn't know where he was, or his name. Did want to go to Setrights, to make his own way home!

I'm glad the other guy stopped, because the man was so agitated. Didn't take kindly to me calling the ambulance, and for not letting him go off on his merry way down the dual carriageway! He kept trying to shake us off, and I was afraid he'd hurt himself.

Long 5-10 minutes and the ambulance came.

I was convinced he was dead when I came up to him, as he was lying next to this blood red sign. I thought it was a hit and run. Guy was lucky he didn't pass out onto the road. :eek:

So anyway, I got no name for him, so I can't find out if he's ok. Anyone missing an 'oul fella? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Fair play to you Mark, nice to know that there are some good samaritans out there :) I hope the old man makes a full recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I think I may know who this is, had he a walking frame with him?

Anyway, I'm heading to Setrights now so I'll fill you in if I hear anything.

edit
    Ok well I asked Emma in Setrights if she heard anything about the incident, she hadn't. The old man who I suspected it was in for his few pints today but he got a lift home about 4.30 so I'm 90% ruling him out.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you are on about this famous Paddy I keep hearing suggested, it wasn't him. Had a local who stopped as thought it was Paddy.

No walking frame etc.

I do have an update however. My aunt lives up the road. She found (probably) the same guy asleep in her garden last year. Wouldn't leave either. Had to call the guards in the end.

Guy was from newmarket, which he'd said to me also. Hopefully not too many old guys from Newmarket are rambling around cratloe.

Advertisement