Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

susi grant special grant & installment date

Options
  • 09-12-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi susi asked for my bank detail over a week ago and I'm still waiting for a payment. I've been awarded the full non adjacent grant of 3000e the same grant I was awarded last year but they but it by 3000e!! I was getting 6600!!
    Anyway I'm wondering 2 things:

1. How do you become eligible for the special grant?? I can't find anything on the internet about it

2.what date do the Installments get paid in on? I'm still waiting I really thought id have it by now.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation. Help would be appreciated :) thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Q1

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html
    Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students

Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for a special rate of maintenance grant.

Applicants must have qualified for the standard maintenance grant for the academic year 2012-2013 and total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2011 must not be more than €22,703, net of Qualified Child Increases and standard exclusions.

For students, including mature students, who are assessed on parent(s)/guardian's income, their parent(s)/guardian must, on 31 December 2011, have been:
    Claiming long-term social welfare payments, or
    Claiming Family Income Supplement or
    Participating in designated programmes (for example, a FÁS training programme).

These payments and programmes are listed in Schedule 2 of the Student Grant Scheme 2012 (pdf).

For students who are assessed on their own income, on 31 December 2011 the student must have been getting one of these social welfare payments or participating in a designated programme.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9556/check-reckonable-income-limits/index.html
    Who is eligible for Special Rate of Grant?

There is a special rate of grant available for eligible students whose income is below a threshold (currently) €22,703. This special rate provides a top up on the normal grant award.

The conditions to qualify for the special rate of grant are:
    Student must qualify for the ordinary rate of grant.
    Total reckonable income must not exceed €22,703.
    On the 31st December 2011, the reckonable income must include an eligible long-term payment prescribed under the scheme.

In addition, it is important to note that the reckonable income for the special rate only is net of the Child Dependant increase (CDI) where paid by the Department of Social Protection.

If you were earning less than 22,000 and receiving a social welfare payment you should get it automatically. If you think you should be getting that rate tgen you should appeal the decision to give you 3000 ASAP

Q2 - I'm not sure how that works. Maybe someone else here can answer.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caoimheb004

Hi susi asked for my bank detail over a week ago and I'm still waiting for a payment. I've been awarded the full non adjacent grant of 3000e the same grant I was awarded last year but they but it by 3000e!! I was getting 6600!!
    Anyway I'm wondering 2 things:

1. How do you become eligible for the special grant?? I can't find anything on the internet about it

2.what date do the Installments get paid in on? I'm still waiting I really thought id have it by now.

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation. Help would be appreciated :) thanks

Thanks for the help! I think I could be eligible for that. Any idea how appealing it goes??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks for the help! I think I could be eligible for that. Any idea how appealing it goes??

You should have received a letter from susi

The form is here

http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/SUSI-Appeals-Form---August-2012.pdf.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Exact same boat, haven't gotten mine either... It'd be really handy to get it before Christmas and the waiting is killing me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caoimheb04

Exact same boat, haven't gotten mine either... It'd be really handy to get it before Christmas and the waiting is killing me!!

I got mine today. Got 2 months paid in. Hope you had the same luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement