Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada 2013 where to go?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys me and a few friends are applying for the visa this summer and was just wondering if anyone had any advise on where to go.. main thing is work, were all in our 20's and would do any ol job really.. also some place with a reasonable cost of living and good nightlife would be great..
    Any suggestions? we were thinking of Alberta.. maybe Calgary or Edmonton?
    Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

I am in the same boat bud i would be looking at Calgary i am heading there all going well:D...seems to be no shortage of work in construction mainly due to the oil sands:D from what i can see Calgary has a pretty good night life too i was looking at accommodation anywhere from 400-600 for a room a month not to bad i suppose if your working 40 hours a week on 20 dollars an hour:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BMAD03041992

Hey thanks for the reply! Do u need any documentation or licences to work in contruction over there? Manual labour would prob suit us all best.. No that isnt bad at all if ur earning that much an hour :D

yea bud from what i have heard u do a day ticket course called CSTS bascially a safe pass the ypur good to go.. what visa you geting? i dont think there is a j1 for canada is there?:D

Right cool.. No there is no J1 for canada but the 24 month suits us as I have to do a 3 month work placement next year and can just stay on for another summer.. The others are in the same boat too with work placements and that..
    Anyways Calgary sounds like a good place to go.. Do u know anything about Edmonton? Or anywhere else in Canada?

Yea bud Edmonton is another town you could go to Calgary and it are both the oil capitals.my plan is to hopefully hit all the head offices in Calgary and hopefully get a job in the oil sands..theres major work there look up the oil sands on youtube you will see what i mean:D.. there so much work they never shut down. either one would be a good starting point i like calgary as from what i heard its just a better choice for me but both are good and have plenty of work:D..if you get a job you will more then likely end up in fort mcmurry:D... well i no saskatoon and regina have a lot of work too:D

• Advertisement

cool that sounds great.. have to look into it tho because i duno will they take people on for just the summer.. thanks a mil for all the info anyways :D I guess ill have to do my research now.. Do u know is there any sites/ways you could try secure a job before you head out? That would be so good :)

I would advise you to say nothing about it being just summer work say you plan on staying long term and then bail if you must but be warned you might get a taste of the money and not leave:D.. i would advise you to set up a LinkedIn account great way to contact company's:D
    Try these but you might not get a reply they get thousands of emails a day so don't be dishearten if they don't write back its all about calling in to the company's and seeing them in person:D.
    Suncor-1st ever oil sands operation
    Syncrude-Largest oil sands operation
    CNRL Horizon
    Shell Albian Sands
    Imperial oil (EXXON) Kearl Lake
    Suncor Firebag
    Husky Sunrise
    Cenovus-Christina Lake
    MEG Energy-Christin Lake

Try these sub contractors
    PCL (Canada)
    -Kiewit (USA)
    -KBR (USA)
    -Ledcor (Canada)
    -Transfield (Australia)
    -TIC (USA)
    -Bechtel (USA)
    -Kentz engineering
    -DCM (Canada)
    -Bradken (Australia)

This would be the shifts you would most likely do.work 3 weeks on, 1 off, 12 hours per day:

each weekday: 8 hours straight time at $20/hour, 4 hours at $30/hour. gross $280
    weekends: 12 hours at $30/hour, gross $360 each day

so, 5x280=1400 plus 2x360=720 =$2120

Nearly all of these companys headquarters are based in calgary or edmonton or fort mcmurry:D

Wow thanks a million for all the great info! its much appreciated :)

Please HELP!! im filling out my visa application and cant find my IEC conditional acceptance letter.. I got one message but it just gave me a some identification numbers and said nothing about the accepatance!! Please help can someone tell me what it even looks like and says?

sure lad did you even pay yet?

• Advertisement

no i havnt but i set up my kompass account and submitted it and have everything filled out on the myCIC page.. Dont you pay after u have all ur documents uploaded to the myCIC? thanks for replying

jeez mate no you have to pay now did you get sent your world tracking number?and upload the reciept on to your Kompass account the MY cic part does not even matter yet. theres only 400 visas left your cuting it awful fine:(

aww **** but where do i pay? on the kompass or myCIC page? i got sent my WTN but i dont know where to pay? ****..

you have to go into your bank and pay did you get a message off them in yout kompass account?

oh **** no i just got the one with the wtn and it said nothing about going to the bank.. **** I guess its a J1 for me so.. have u ever been on on? any suggestions? haha, all I can do now is laugh.. the most stressfully confusing application I ever had to fill out

ha you cant get a j1 for canada dunno about america doh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

oh **** no i just got the one with the wtn and it said nothing about going to the bank.. **** I guess its a J1 for me so.. have u ever been on on? any suggestions? haha, all I can do now is laugh.. the most stressfully confusing application I ever had to fill out

Dont panic you're fine, you have until the 9th of feb to pay so you should be ok! Get to the bank on monday and get yourself sorted! :)

Advertisement