Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 alternator

Options
  • 09-12-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Has anyone replaced one before? I was driving mine today when pretty much all electrical systems failed. Had a look at pricing a new one and they are ridiculously expensive.
    The Haynes manual doesn't cover the 1.6 diesel model either so not much use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

My alternator started to go a few weeks ago ( I have the 2.0 D version ) My mechanic brought to a mechanic who specializes in Alternators / starter motors.

He refurbished my Alternator by replacing failed parts with upgraded ones. I was told the now refurbished unit is superior to buying a new one off the shelf.

Only cost me about 60 euro including labour...might be worth your while exploring this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

gonzo1 wrote: »
    My alternator started to go a few weeks ago ( I have the 2.0 D version ) My mechanic brought to a mechanic who specializes in Alternators / starter motors.

He refurbished my Alternator by replacing failed parts with upgraded ones. I was told the now refurbished unit is superior to buying a new one off the shelf.

Only cost me about 60 euro including labour...might be worth your while exploring this option?

That's great news. I will definitely be looking at doing that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

@Gonzo1

A friend of mine got theirs replaced in a 04 2.0D S40 and the labour to take it out cost a small fortune?

That's what I'm concerned about. I attempted to take it out there but the Haynes doesn't cover the 1.6 diesel so I'm afraid to touch some of it. Volvo forums haven't been much help. I have seen places charging 500 for the alternator alone

Capri86 wrote: »
    That's what I'm concerned about. I attempted to take it out there but the Haynes doesn't cover the 1.6 diesel so I'm afraid to touch some of it. Volvo forums haven't been much help. I have seen places charging 500 for the alternator alone

Yeah that's more what I thought. It's behind the engine AFAIK.

• Advertisement

I can see it fine including the 3 mount bolts. But I can't work out how to get at one of them and I don't know how to release the tensioner to get the belt off. Lots of problems

Rang the friend of mine who did it.

Said the belt of "the power steering pump belt has to come off, the power steering pump lifted up out of the way and the diesel filter has to come out but don't take the pipes off it as you'll never bleed it".

Said it's very tight on space and a c*** of a job... lol...

He charged €250 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Hi, its not too bad a job to remove and have them reconditioned. 250 is far too much to pay for that job i sorry to say.
    Replacement diode/rectifier pack, axle bearings and brushes etc. would set you back no more than 100-120 through then agency we use to recon our alternators and you're covered then with a 12 mth warranty. PM me for more info.

That included a tow from Lim to Ennis, sorry.

Excellent thanks for the info. I just have to figure out how to get the bloody thing out first. To loosen the belt tensioner I think I'll have to go in from underneath. No sign of the bolt you need to slacken looking down from the top

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

OP-Take out the old alternator and take the Ford part number off the little plate on it.Go to your local Ford dealer and its about 150-200 cheaper for a Ford exchange alternator.

That's the plan alright. I'm hoping I can get it for even less as I know a lad who can pick up ford parts at cost price. I just have to ask nicely tomorrow.
    I might have to get it fitted locally though as I have no instruction on how to do it. But at least I can save money on hopefully buying it separately

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

@Gonzo1

A friend of mine got theirs replaced in a 04 2.0D S40 and the labour to take it out cost a small fortune?

To be honest I was fearing the worst when mine started to go, whining noise + Power system Failure up on the dash. My mechanic only had it for a few hours...he brought it to the guy in O'Briensbridge (montpelier) Mike Kelliher I think his name was...who upgaded the existing Alternator and I was back driving the next day. I have done approx. 15k kilometers since and it's perfect.

The advice that I got at the time was " you can go and buy a new one if you want. But refurbishing your own one would give you a more reliable unit in the Long run"

As for getting at the Alternator and removing, I'm not sure.

Hope you get sorted OP, I see you're from Dublin so the Guy that did mine would too far away :(

For anyone who wants to tackle removing this alternator without a manual you're in for a treat. It took me a good portion of the day just to remove it. That said, with a manual it would only take a couple of hours at most.

I'm picking up a reconditioned one tomorrow. I hope it goes in easy enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Denso alternators on these give no end of trouble. We only fit new genuine Denso replacements to them because of our experience of repeated failure with reconditioned units.

Yeah I've heard that. Picking up a genuine Denso one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

My V50 Allternator is showing issues, loud whining noise related to revs and a smell coming from around that area.

Also noticed the lights dimming at idle.

How difficult is it to replace, have been reading about there being a 120a and a 150a Alternator any surefire way to tell which one is in it ?

Is it possible to do this without a lift ? (I know I have to remove the plastic cover behind the front right wheel :( )

It's possible to do in your garden without a lift. Not the easiest but possible. If you have a look at the alternator you will see Denso written on it and either 120 or 150 a written on it. Make sure you replace it with the same kind.
    Do it as soon as possible as it will fail and could leave you stuck. You can always do a quick test with a multimeter to confirm its failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op, often ebay.ie or co.uk will be your man! as has been said starter motors and alternators can be reconditioned. In my case I was able to get a reconditioned genuine started motor for my E46 for E30 on ebay, was a lot cheaper and less hassle than taking out my own and getting it reconditioned in that particular case...

That's a good price. Ive bought them cheaply before off eBay with no problems. But for this car they just seem to cost a lot more. Anyway it's ordered now so hopefully I can pick it up early and get cracking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Alternator in our old V50 1.8i was replaced on the drive - could all be done from the top of the engine and only took about 30 mins (for my mate the mechanic) to do - biggest issue was making sure the belts were put back on again properly.

Not sure if the location on the diesels is different for the alternator though.

For the 1.6 diesel it can't all be done from the top and access is poor. But manageable all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Had a look today ...... on the 2.0d it looks like a bit of a nightmare.
    Found a local alternator and start motor reconditioning place though !

Had a look today ...... on the 2.0d it looks like a bit of a nightmare.
    Found a local alternator and start motor reconditioning place though !

If you're going ahead with it I can give you a bit of a run through.

Parts didn't arrive today. Should get it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

Had been checkin this site for info on a power problem i had with my 09 S40. Indeed the alternator had packed in. Got a local mechanic to look at it.

He advised me to get it reconditioned so i let him do what was best. Reconditioned and fitted for €140.

Was damn glad seeing as it packed in on the 29th dec and had it fixed on afternoon of the 31st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Volvo's must be very weak with their alternators,I had a 460 years ago and it was the only flaw on the car

Advertisement