Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to store sensitive information on a home computer?

Options
  • 08-12-2012 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

I have some photos and videos of a sensitive nature that I...

only joking, but I do have various log in/card information I would like to keep in text files, although that's obviously not very secure on a computer with internet access.

Are there any good programs to encrypt the data or anything?

Comments

Truecrypt which is available on most or if all platforms or if you are on mac, create a .dmg through disk creator and apply encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I use Keypass to keep all passwords etc in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

NoDrama wrote: »
    Truecrypt which is available on most or if all platforms or if you are on mac, create a .dmg through disk creator and apply encryption.

^^ It really is the only trusted option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The best option is to use Dropbox, Truecrypt and Keypass.
    Create a Truecrypt file based Volume in a folder sync'd to dropbox, mount it and create your Keypass DB file into it.

This way you can sync it across system including your phone.
    NoDrama wrote: »
    Keedowah wrote: »
    I use Keypass to keep all passwords etc in

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

hi there,

here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this with Truecrypt:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=tutorial

Fabio

• Advertisement
Advertisement