Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOTS Cheese central

Options
  • 08-12-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice that HOTS is full of the old cheese that you largely don't find on WoL any more. I played my 5 placement matches and every single person cheesed me, be they T, P or Z.

You kinda don't think you are going to come up against that sort of stuff any more (DT rush on a large map sort of thing, or a Zerg worker rush), and I've lost a few games since I joined the beta yesterday (including most of my placement matches) cause frankly I've forgotten most of the things you do to avoid it (like bunker on mineral line for Reaper rush).

Quite frustrating since after all if you counter a cheese you have a pretty easy victory ahead of you.

Oh well, learning experience I guess, refreshing all the counters to all the old tricks. Just thought it was odd, I kinda figured that most HOTS players would be WoL veterans above cheesing. Though maybe they are they just figure everyone has forgotten so we might as well give it ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The game is still being figured out, its not so easy to be safe vs all the new strats :) I can't wait to play HOTS. It'll be a refreshing change to the one-dimensionsal macro games I've been playing for a while now. PvP spends too much time on one base still, and PvZ is fundamentally broken.

Some of the new Toss stuff looks so cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Gumbi wrote: »
    The game is still being figured out, its not so easy to be safe vs all the new strats :) I can't wait to play HOTS. It'll be a refreshing change to the one-dimensionsal macro games I've been playing for a while now. PvP spends too much time on one base still, and PvZ is fundamentally broken.

Some of the new Toss stuff looks so cool :D

Me too, really like the new Zerg units (which seem a bit OP at the moment, but they will prob be nerfed before March), that allow Zerg to play a more seige style game, like Terran seige tank creeps, rather than all out aggressive.

Zombrex wrote: »

Me too, really like the new Zerg units (which seem a bit OP at the moment, but they will prob be nerfed before March), that allow Zerg to play a more seige style game, like Terran seige tank creeps, rather than all out aggressive.
    I haven't played the beta, and have only seen some gameplay. But what I have seen looks cool!

I might pre-order it on Amazon for a Beta key :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Lol at zergs being all out aggressive. All matchups in WOL are turtlefest atm.

I played 6 games in HOTS as terran, after many months of break in playing sc2 at all.

1) TvT on some new HOTS 1v1 map. First thing - omg scroll speed is so slow, unplayable. Pause and explain - instant unpause by my opponent. Okay. Have a build in my mind, kinda cheesy - open with reapers, get fast factory and play around with mech. Reapers end up doing tons of damage, I get starport and banshees because I forgot about my plan while having fun with reapers. He dead.

2) TvP antiga vs the same guy. I want to test new medivac upgrade. He 4 gates me with a forge (?) and mothership core. Hold easy. I get widow mines for fun, exp, etc. Move out and see cannons, wtf. Well clean up no problem, medivac upgrade is awesome btw. He dead.

3) TvP daybreak. Was thinking about doing 1-1-1 into fast medivac upgrade. He dead. Got the upgrade but it did not matter that much. He just dead.

4) TvP on huuuuge new HOTS map. 14 CC cause you get a free base there. Plan: mech into 3\3 BCs. Oh widow mines so good. The new protoss air harass unit is annoying. 3\3 BCs rape. He dead.

5) TvZ on same huge map. The guy is all gl hf and friendly. Chat a bit. Same plan as before. Widow mines are sooo, sooo fun! He complains a bit imba mines, I laugh. Proceed to take 3\4th of the map. It's a 4 player map and I control 3 mains, he has his own. BCs roll over him, he has no anti air - pretty much went pure ultra. Then the fun starts. "Hate to lose to a player like you". Wtf?! Apparently it's imba and there is no way for him to see the tech switch. Even though he had an overlord right on top of my starports lol. Asked him what league is he in WOL. Silver, but he "doesnt play much". Okay we got a badass over here. Proceeds to build bm buildings to stay in game longer, but not for long.

6) TvZ on the small new map. I noticed there was no reaper combat drugs upgrade, but they did heal. Does it mean its built-in? Seems so! Went 5 rax reaper. He dead.

It was really fun. The widow-mine turtle into 3\3 BCs is interesting, wonder how would it fare against good players. But the game is so hard. Really, in my first game when scvs started to move (btw cool option to make them mine when game starts automatically) I was like damn it seems fast I don't remember it feeling so fast.

i hope PvT is good. I think it's a pretty good macthup in WoL, it's just that Toss is limited until lategame. Apart from some somewhat gimmicky 2 base builds, a typical macro game involved Toss cowering in fear with Gateway units, fighting hard to get out tech units. Terran owns the map for the midgame, Toss can't do much. Lategame Toss has a edge on most maps.

Giving Toss more viability midgame, and Terran lategame should really spice up the matchup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement