Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl telescope on sale 13.12.12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not of much worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

This one in Aldi any better ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Kat1170 wrote: »
    This one in Aldi any better ??:confused:
    same...nothing good.it actually can put you off altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Any telescope that has the main selling point as the magnification is more then likely a junk scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

dbran wrote: »
    Any telescope that has the main selling point as the magnification is more then likely a junk scope.

or good for land only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

I would sooner buy a good pair of binoculars than either of these two scopes. btw the binoculars on sale in lidl this time around might not be the best. they used to sell a decent pair of Bresser binoculars once.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

I'm gonna take advantage of this thread if that's alright OP.

What can you tell me about this

You can find a few reviews around on this Celestron Powerseeker 1000. I think you can get better for similar money on Ktec site, like this Skywatcher 130M (motorised) for instance.

ZeRoY wrote: »
    You can find a few reviews around on this Celestron Powerseeker 1000. I think you can get better for similar money on Ktec site, like this Skywatcher 130M (motorised) for instance.

To be honest, I'm only starting off and would prefer to stay away from motorised and automatic telescopes.

For that money, if you want simplicity - I'd invest in a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P. It's an 8" reflector on a dobsonian mount - For a sub-€300 scope, it's the best value for money in terms of visuals.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm only starting off and would prefer to stay away from motorised and automatic telescopes.

For the same money (even a bit less) I would still go to the motorized - You can simply switch on the motor when you have the target in sight and it will remain there - as opposed to having to keep rotating the slow motion control by hand! I would say its easier for a beginner with the motors, really.

Would you mind telling me what I should be looking for in a telescope? I have read the sticky.

I understand (or would like to believe I do) all the parts to a telescope, but what makes a telescope better than another one?

E.g What makes this better or worse than this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whatever happened to those LXD 75's Lidl used to do every xmas? That wasn't a bad price at the time for the mount alone.

OP, you'd be better off with those bino's also on offer. They look like re-branded Bressers. Good buy for twenty notes.

endacl wrote: »
    Whatever happened to those LXD 75's Lidl used to do every xmas? That wasn't a bad price at the time for the mount alone.

They get sold on adverts :) - a few sold recently, I got one for 250€, very happy with it so far. I think its a good few years since they were in sale in Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi ZestyLemon, that's not really a great deal for the PS 1000 from Argos.

As far I can remember the PS1000 was discontinued by Celestron about 2 years ago and was replaced by the Astromaster 130 EQ. Which is selling for €199 in Astronomy Ireland https://astro1.securesites.com/sub/astromaster130eqform.htm

Would you mind telling me what I should be looking for in a telescope? I have read the sticky.

I understand (or would like to believe I do) all the parts to a telescope, but what makes a telescope better than another one?

E.g What makes this better or worse than this

It's all about Aperture - The larger the Aperture, the more light-handling ability it has. Remember - "Magnification" is utterly meaningless when it comes to telescopes. You can magnify anything, but it doesn't mean you'll see any detail unless the aperture is up the par.

As for the above - The aperture of those two scopes are the same, the only difference I see there is the focal length. The optics could be of a higher quality in one over the other, in so-far as how fine the mirror is in them - and the general build quality of the mount + telescope itself.

With reflector scopes - you ideally want at a very minimum 6 inches or above for it to be of much use.

The argument then is based on your budget - How much money do you have to spend, and is tracking important. If you just want a simple mount, and aren't interested in tracking for photography and more precise viewing - then you could just get a reflector on a dobsonian mount, where all of your investment will be in the visuals. This of course will be at the expense of the mount, which will be pretty basic (but functional).

If you wanted to invest more money into your mount and get an EQ mount, or some sort of motorized GOTO system - it will be done at the expense of the actual visuals.

If you did want a GOTO system, you'd want to invest at least 700 or 800 euro to get an entry level system of any real worth.

So it really does depend on your budget, and what you want out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

They get sold on adverts :) - a few sold recently, I got one for 250€, very happy with it so far. I think its a good few years since they were in sale in Lidl
    I'm thinking of picking one up if another becomes available on adverts...so you think its a decent scope? How long to set it up, assuming you don't have an obeservatory in your back garden!!!

I'm thinking of picking one up if another becomes available on adverts...so you think its a decent scope? How long to set it up, assuming you don't have an obeservatory in your back garden!!!

Its a good starting GOTO scope for astro-photo I think. The mount is very sturdy and weight at 45Lbs and 26Lbs for the 6" Newtonian. How easy to setup depends a lot on your own location, I carry mine from spare room to outside, a full setup takes under an hour (with Polar alignement, Goto setup) - but for visual viewing you only need 10-15min. Here's mine setup outside last Sunday

meade_lxd75_backgarden_s.jpg

Its a good starting GOTO scope for astro-photo I think. The mount is very sturdy and weight at 45Lbs and 26Lbs for the 6" Newtonian. How easy to setup depends a lot on your own location, I carry mine from spare room to outside, a full setup takes under an hour (with Polar alignement, Goto setup) - but for visual viewing you only need 10-15min. Here's mine setup outside last Sunday

meade_lxd75_backgarden_s.jpg
    Well under an hour if you can store it covered in a shed or suchlike. A big plus is that the OTA is always at or near ambient temperature, ie feckin' freezin'! You won't need to wait too long till your really up and rocking. Fantastic piece of kit for the money. The mount is the key though. Next scope upgrade need only be the tube itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Are any of the ones linked above portable? ZeRoys one looks like a nightmare to setup. I'd like to have one that i can keep fully setup and just bring out for 10 minutes here and there to look at a planet or two.

Would a budget of €350 get something small and powerful, with no need to photography? Maybe something table top size.
    Also, is there a type of telescope thats better suited to light polluted areas, eg dobsonian/newtonian?

how's this: http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-telescope-n-150-750-eq-4/p,22465
    EDIT: (and preferably one that can arrive before xmas!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Are any of the ones linked above portable? ZeRoys one looks like a nightmare to setup. I'd like to have one that i can keep fully setup and just bring out for 10 minutes here and there to look at a planet or two.

Would a budget of €350 get something small and powerful, with no need to photography? Maybe something table top size.
    Also, is there a type of telescope thats better suited to light polluted areas, eg dobsonian/newtonian?

how's this: http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-telescope-n-150-750-eq-4/p,22465
    EDIT: (and preferably one that can arrive before xmas!!)
    Then a dob would be your best choice...1min (even if) to set up.
    Here is a link for a decent for your budget :
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/By-Manufacturer/Skywatcher/Skywatcher-Dobsonian-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Skyliner-200P-Parabolic-Dobsonian-Telescope.html
    8" of gathering power will let you see plenty of objects even in light polluted areas within reason.

Nerro wrote: »
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/By-Manufacturer/Skywatcher/Skywatcher-Dobsonian-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Skyliner-200P-Parabolic-Dobsonian-Telescope.html
    8" of gathering power will let you see plenty of objects even in light polluted areas within reason.

Or one of the carry - Alt-AZ Goto from Skywatcher/Celestron, good selection at http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Starter-Telescopes/

Nerro wrote: »

Ye I was looking at that one, as it was linked above, but when I googled for reviews, the first result (which was very favourable) had it down as €300. In the link there its €375. That's why I was asking for a site thats good value.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye I was looking at that one, as it was linked above, but when I googled for reviews, the first result (which was very favourable) had it down as €300. In the link there its €375. That's why I was asking for a site thats good value.

It may be more expensive on the Irish site linked but you must also think of the added benefit of the Irish shop being local, think support and advice, etc... Its all well and good to buy on cheap site abroad but the after sale service is often inexistant.

Ye I suppose,

Which one of these would give the best image:
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Christmas-Gift-Ideas/Skywatcher-Skymax-102-SynScan-AZ-Goto.html
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Christmas-Gift-Ideas/Skywatcher-Skyliner-200P-Parabolic-Dobsonian-Telescope.html

Also, are they that heavy? I cant seem to find a mention of their weight.

EDIT: Holy crap, that 200P is MASSIVE!!! See the first image HERE.
    Think I'll go with the 102. Seems a fraction of the size and roughly the same quality image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I would be very interested to know who had it for sale, delivered to Ireland, for €300?

Im always watching the competition, ;) even TS cant put it out at that price, they are €341+ €28 delivery (or €43 delivery).

Just google the telescope. The first result is a review where he says he got it for €299.
    It seems a beast of a thing though. Me mother wouldnt be able to carry it by herself at all, especially compared to the little ones like the Skywatcher Skymax 102 or 127.

Is this one any good off adverts? Seems to have a lot of replies....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

It would have to be so far away!!!

Advertisement