Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you remove kitchen cabinet internal shelfs?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

Misses wants me to take out the internal shelf in our IKEA kitchen(corner unit - that rectangular in shape) and put in one of these swing out shelves. http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/40116739/

Questions is how to you remove the exisiting shelf? No screws are visable, do you have to take off the counter-top and remove the adjoining cabinets to get access to screws holding shelf?

Alternatively, do you think it possible to cut shelf out of existing cabinet!!

Thanks in advance, pan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many kitchen shelves just sit in place, held up by little fixings / brackets. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/417867964/cabinet_shelf_support_cabinet_shelf_pin.html Check the underside. The shelves often have a tight fit to stop rattle.

Step 1: remove crockery, glassware, etc. :cool:
    Step2: give the shelf a sharp upward bang with the palm of your hand, perhaps best at the front of the cupboard

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Victor wrote: »
    Many kitchen shelves just sit in place, held up by little fixings / brackets. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/417867964/cabinet_shelf_support_cabinet_shelf_pin.html Check the underside. The shelves often have a tight fit to stop rattle.

Step 1: remove crockery, glassware, etc. :cool:
    Step2: give the shelf a sharp upward bang with the palm of your hand, perhaps best at the front of the cupboard

Thanks Victor, I know the type your talking about. But I don't have these on the ground level cabinets!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it is that difficult to remove, is the shelf fundamental to the structure of the cupboard?

Victor wrote: »
    If it is that difficult to remove, is the shelf fundamental to the structure of the cupboard?

No, I'd recon it's not fundatmental...
    Are you thinking, I should just cut with saw or break out of cabinet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Shelf may be cam and dowel fitting,feel underside of shelf if you feel something the size of a 20 cet piece with a Phillips head it's a cam fitting unfortunately it may end up being a hammer job and some swift blows really all you can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Jig saw through the center, this will lessen the possible damage done to the unit, then remove.

Wils110 wrote: »
    Shelf may be cam and dowel fitting,feel underside of shelf if you feel something the size of a 20 cet piece with a Phillips head it's a cam fitting unfortunately it may end up being a hammer job and some swift blows really all you can do

Thanks, nothing visible under shelf.
    I'm guessing it's screwed from outside of cabinet, then next cabinet is move into position beside it...just wondering if any kitchen fitters know how these are installed.

Probably I have two options,
    1. Hammer/break out the shelf, as you suggested
    2. Remove counter top and cabinet beside unit to gain access to cabinet screws holding shelf.

Jig saw through the center, this will lessen the possible damage done to the unit, then remove.

Should I then break away the remaining parts of the shelf after jig saw has done its work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Cut through centre and hit each side down with the hammer taking off counter no way pan the reason to cut it is to get shelf out easier is it an L shape I use to do kitchens and that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

pan wrote: »
    Should I then break away the remaining parts of the shelf after jig saw has done its work?

Well you could do 2 cuts, 2 inches apart, this should let you pull the shelf out sideways and not up and down, (which could do damage to the unit)

why are you removing the shelf? is it to store items on the base of the unit that are taller than the space provided if the shelf is left in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

we make these kind of units ,how we fix them is dowels on both gables and then screwed through the back of the unit ,i know you probably have the job done ,but just something for future reference :)

Advertisement