Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbing apprenticeship.

Options
  • 07-12-2012 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

i have a weeks trial over in the uk for a plumbing apprenticeship. i was just wondering if all goes well and i get the job and qualify is my qualification recognised in ireland? i presume its 4 years in england as well. also say halfway through if i get an offer back in ireland for say a 3rd year apprentice plumber job could i come back and finish it off here? or would i have to start again through fas or just finish it in the uk. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Plumbing qualifications are recognised, quite a few posters on here would be UK trained. City and Guilds is a four year course. OFTEC applies without any conversion but for Gas you will need to sit the RGII tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DoneDL wrote: »
    OFTEC applies without any conversion but for Gas you will need to sit the RGII tests.

I am time served City and Guilds Gas Service Engineer and i did not require any further training for RGII membership.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

uk system is different than here,doubt it would be recognised,no gas welding and numerous other sections not covered in uk,its a step down from irish training

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

thanks for the replies.

pontia wrote: »
    uk system is different than here,doubt it would be recognised,no gas welding and numerous other sections not covered in uk,its a step down from irish training

oh is it? well i would do it here but have been trying for the last few years but its obviously very hard to get an apprenticeship. this could be a break finally and i dont mind doing it in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

constuctions in a bad way here,not a great time to be going into it

yeah i know but if i have a trade i could go to australia etc. i was just seeing if things were to ever get better in ireland later down the line would it be recognised here thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maradonas

you would have to finish an apprenticeship in england. or begin another 4 year apprenticeship were you to arrive back here in ireland. city and guilds is probably better to have worldwide, my fas wasnt worth much in austrailia. what you want is some good jobs experience on site with helpfull and experienced plumbers no matter what country your in. anyway best of luck

maradonas wrote: »
    you would have to finish an apprenticeship in england. or begin another 4 year apprenticeship were you to arrive back here in ireland. city and guilds is probably better to have worldwide, my fas wasnt worth much in austrailia. what you want is some good jobs experience on site with helpfull and experienced plumbers no matter what country your in. anyway best of luck

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I am time served City and Guilds Gas Service Engineer and i did not require any further training for RGII membership.

Sorry Billy but being Gas Safe does not automatically qualify you to work here, you still have to be RGII qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

DoneDL wrote: »
    Sorry Billy but being Gas Safe does not automatically qualify you to work here, you still have to be RGII qualified.

I'm sure your right Mate, but i have never been Gas safe nor Corgi, i'm here 22yrs, when RGII took off i signed up for the "training session" with one of the centres only to be told by RGII that i didnt need it, they took a copy of my C&G and that was that.

I await the refresher recall or whatever comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

i myself left the uk with city and guilds qualifications, NVQ level 2, had 3 years completed, left before i was finnished. i done a day release, 1 day per week, rather than block release.

when i went to fas i was first told i'd have to re do the lot, caused uproar and was eventually exempt from phase 2. im sure if id finnished NVQ level 3 it would have been recognised.

as far as content covered, there is a huge difference in irish curriculum, with regards to welding.

either way a plumber is a plumber through experience and if the chance is there take it.

hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

Do not worry about crossovers for this that or the other.

Focus on getting the apprenticeship and go for it.

Do all the training that you can avail of in gas, electric or other along with the plumbing apprenticeship.

City and Guild qualifications are recognized the world over and their European headquarters in Ireland.

thanks for the replies very helpful.
    phobia2011 wrote: »
    i myself left the uk with city and guilds qualifications, NVQ level 2, had 3 years completed, left before i was finnished. i done a day release, 1 day per week, rather than block release.

when i went to fas i was first told i'd have to re do the lot, caused uproar and was eventually exempt from phase 2. im sure if id finnished NVQ level 3 it would have been recognised.

as far as content covered, there is a huge difference in irish curriculum, with regards to welding.

either way a plumber is a plumber through experience and if the chance is there take it.

hope it helps
    jimjimt wrote: »

Do all the training that you can avail of in gas, electric or other along with the plumbing apprenticeship.

City and Guild qualifications are recognized the world over and their European headquarters in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

jimjimt wrote: »

that is good advice op. you'll only get out of an apprenticeship what you put in.
    there are plenty of guys going around who were underpaid labourers for four years and then declared trades people after running down the clock. keep your ears open and enjoy it.

got offered the job after the trial starting in january. delighted! :)

fas told me that if i came back halfway through an apprenticeship to ireland that they have a recognition of prior learning process and award exemptions if the person can prove that they have already achieved the stand of the phase from which they are seeking the exemption. but you have to do phase 6 and 7 no matter what there is no exemptions from that.

i started in january, asked him about going to college and he said he would look into it for me, came back to me 2 weeks ago and said its better for me to stay on the job as ill learn more. and the other day said there was no more work available. back in ireland now back to square one. seems as though he just wanted someone for cheap labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

i started in january, asked him about going to college and he said he would look into it for me, came back to me 2 weeks ago and said its better for me to stay on the job as ill learn more. and the other day said there was no more work available. back in ireland now back to square one. seems as though he just wanted someone for cheap labour.

Sorry to hear that , there are plenty of bas**rds like that out there , if you are serious about doing a plumbing apprentiship go on the rgii website , open the golden pages , search the web and ring anyone in or around your area , explain to them that your serious and want to learn , tell them about your experience in the uk , you'd never know someone might be willing to give you a shot .
    I hope you get a bit of luck , keep us posted .

okay thanks for the tip, ill contact all the local businesses in the kildare area and see how i get on. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

okay thanks for the tip, ill contact all the local businesses in the kildare area and see how i get on. thanks.
    If you've money to spare its be worth doing the Oftec course in Metac Laois and maybe the electrical course. That'd be a big help in convincing somebody to take you on as an apprentice if you knew your away around a burner and wiring systems for heating

• Advertisement

okay thanks ill look into that.

just an update on this. got a call last week from a company that i applied to about 6 months ago asking could i come in for an interview. got offered the job straight after the interview. delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Congrats , well done , best of luck with it !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭QBE

just an update on this. got a call last week from a company that i applied to about 6 months ago asking could i come in for an interview. got offered the job straight after the interview. delighted!

well done.

its always worth while sending your cv to (especially the larger) companies. They do keep certain cvs on file . A lot put through the shredder I know this for a fact. Apprentices always worth your while to this. Don't just keep hoping someone knows someone and keep updating your skills with other fas courses in the meantime like oil boiler servicing ect. It will help you become more employable.

thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Best of luck

Advertisement