Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

....I need.........Nuts. Wheel nuts that is......

• 07-12-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

...ok, long story short: a friend is putting on a set of steelies on his 04 Mazda 3 for the winter, and retiring his alloys.

So, he has the steelies, but no nuts - you can't use the ones for the alloys, and so he needs a full set.

He goes into dealer, and got a price of......... €100 ! :eek: (supply-only btw...).

He has tried 2 or 3 breakers, but they aren't interested/bothered to go to the trouble to sort him out. 1 said they wouldn't 'disable' a car just for wheel nuts :confused: eh ? I thought they came there to.....be.......er, .....broken ??

Hence he phones me........:rolleyes:

So my questions are........

1. anyone got access to a set of steelie-compatible nuts for 04 Mazda 3, or......
    2. anyone got access to a reasonable price for set of new ones......would a Ford Fiesta of similar vintage be the same I wonder............. ?

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Why can't you use the ones from the alloys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You could try this crowd, from memory they sell wheelnuts too: http://www.tyremen.co.uk/

Uh apparently you can't.

This guy does em:

http://mistertee.co.uk/3.html

Going to order myself a set now!

The Mazda has an alloy spare so ?

Anyway........

http://www.wheelfittingsolutions.co.uk/Winter-Wheel-Fitments-c-296.html

Have bought alloy wheel nuts off these lads in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

RoverJames wrote: »
    The Mazda has an alloy spare so ?

space saver steel wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Richie pro parts should be able to sort you out, Irish business too:

www.pro-parts.ie

It was €40 for a set of black alloy wheel bolts, not sure what he'd want for a steel wheel set, no harm in calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,506 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Scrap yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks all, good help there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Are they conical seat or ball seat?
    The nuts are different depending on which seating they have.
    Usually Japanese stuff is conical for steel but you'd want to check the wheels first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Go down to Kilcock Car Dismantlers and take them off yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

are alloy wheelnuts actually made of alloy themselves then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Pov06 wrote: »
    Go down to Kilcock Car Dismantlers and take them off yourself :)

yep two off each wheel on two cars will keep them mobile and the scrappie happie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭kirving

corktina wrote: »

I think so yeah, otherwise you can have galvanic corrosion at the contact point, depending on the metals used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

corktina wrote: »
    No alloy wouldn't be strong enough in that size.
    They ones I have are steel chromium plated and with washer thats staked on the nut so it doesn't gall the alloy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You could also ring Whelans car dismantlers in the heath in Portlaoise.
    They will check if they have the nuts, and call you back with a price if they do.

And they'll take them off for you so all you have to do is drop in and collect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭creedp

Richie pro parts should be able to sort you out, Irish business too:

www.pro-parts.ie

It was €40 for a set of black alloy wheel bolts, not sure what he'd want for a steel wheel set, no harm in calling.

Tried this guy and after a couple of emails explaining I needed wheel nuts for steel wheels he advised that he only stocks wheel nuts for after market alloys not for steels or orignal alloys.

Tried Roverjames suggestion also and have heard nothing back in nearly 2 weeks. So its back to the scrappies again to see can I scavenge a set ... the last couple I tried had no interest though.

I ordered a set from the guy I posted - http://mistertee.co.uk/3.html

He advised me over email which ones would fit and I got a set for £26 (€33) delivered. Took just under a week to arrive. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

dont bother ringing or emailing scrap yards,waste of time,go to the scrap yard and ask them in person,unless there a complete shower you should get sorted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ljpg wrote: »
    dont bother ringing or emailing scrap yards,waste of time,go to the scrap yard and ask them in person,unless there a complete shower you should get sorted.

I really can't agree with that, now I usually deal with Whelans as per my post above.

I rang them a few weeks ago looking for a part, they rang back, confirmed they had it and gave me a reference number.

Rang them today, they still had it, were meticulous in checking it matched my needs, offer a five day refund from receipt, and are couriering it to me as I can't currently drive down.

I've been in scrappies where they expect you to examine the car, decide if it's the right part, take it off yourself and pay them for the privilege!

I'd take the likes of Whelans or Traynors over that anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

Stheno wrote: »
    I really can't agree with that, now I usually deal with Whelans as per my post above.

I rang them a few weeks ago looking for a part, they rang back, confirmed they had it and gave me a reference number.

Rang them today, they still had it, were meticulous in checking it matched my needs, offer a five day refund from receipt, and are couriering it to me as I can't currently drive down.

I've been in scrappies where they expect you to examine the car, decide if it's the right part, take it off yourself and pay them for the privilege!

I'd take the likes of Whelans or Traynors over that anyday.

i know nothing about whelans but i know of traynors,there a big outfit and would be well set up,i was referring to the normal run of the mill scrappie down the road,dealing with these local boys over the years i find it best to just go directly instead of ringing,especially for the likes of a few wheel nuts

• Advertisement
Advertisement