Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student grant question?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry if this been asked before, I did search but nothing relevant came up.

So currently I am studying in a plc college and will have a place in Tallaght IT next year in 3rd year of a 4 year course. I am living at home and the moment and am mature student with a child.

I am moving in the new year to a new house (renting) but when I read up about the grant it says I am still accessed under my parents income.

Is this rule fully enforced, I'm like 27 and haven't seen a penny of my parents money since I finished my leaving 9 years ago. Fair enough they both work but in **** jobs that just pay mortgage n bills with a little left over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry if this been asked before, I did search but nothing relevant came up.

So currently I am studying in a plc college and will have a place in Tallaght IT next year in 3rd year of a 4 year course. I am living at home and the moment and am mature student with a child.

I am moving in the new year to a new house (renting) but when I read up about the grant it says I am still accessed under my parents income.

Is this rule fully enforced, I'm like 27 and haven't seen a penny of my parents money since I finished my leaving 9 years ago. Fair enough they both work but in **** jobs that just pay mortgage n bills with a little left over.

Basically yes

The grant is assessed on your income in October of the previous year

So if you apply for a grant in 2013/2014 it will be assessed on that

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved course.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Lovely have to save up €2500 now :-( annoying as I cost the state less money by living at home and not claiming rent allowance.

Advertisement