Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Cuts Protest - Ennis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

12pm starting outside Clare Fm offices, going to Clare Champion office, then to Clare fm office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The Clare People must be aggrieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I hope they get a very good turnout for the protest march.

Unfortunately, given the nature of the work that carers do it can be very difficult for many of them to attend these protests.

The cut in the Carer's Respite Grant (from €1,700 to €1,375 annually) will save €25 million but it is estimated that Carers save the State approximately €4 billion by caring for their loved ones at home instead on placing them in residential care.

I heard Joan Burton say today that they were only putting the respite grant back to 2006 pay levels, I wonder how members of the Dáil would like it if their salaries were reduced back to 2006 pay rates? The simple answer is that they wouldn't.

buck65 wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree, I think it would have made more sense to include all three news outlets

Clare FM - Clare Champion - Clare People

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I hope they get a very good turnout for the protest march.

Unfortunately, given the nature of the work that carers do it can be very difficult for many of them to attend these protests.

The cut in the Carer's Respite Grant (from €1,700 to €1,375 annually) will save €25 million but it is estimated that Carers save the State approximately €4 billion by caring for their loved ones at home instead on placing them in residential care.

I heard Joan Burton say today that they were only putting the respite grant back to 2006 pay levels, I wonder how members of the Dáil would like it if their salaries were reduced back to 2006 pay rates? The simple answer is that they wouldn't.

Absolutely!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This govt. like the previous shower are just typical Irish politicians, I voted for them so hands up (I voted Labour mostly).

All promises reneged on, abolishment of unvouched expenses were the best they could do!?

Foolish me for thinking things would change but like the Greens, Labour have been chewed up and spat out by their masters.

What are the alternatives? Well look no further than the public sector for massive waste of revenues, and I'm not talking about fronline services. But this chicken **** govt won't touch the public sector for fear of the unions so tax and cut the easy targets who are too busy trying to survive to argue or march.

No alternatives out there, a crowd of muinteoirs running the economy.

Child allowance should be means tested, no problem with that I'm fairly sure I would lose mine.

Enda Kenny on the front cover of Time still makes me wonder wtf is going on, but then again people listen to Jedward and find Brendan O Carroll and Pat Shortt funny.

According to Clare FM news, there were only about 50 people at today's march. I'm not surprised by that, Carers are too busy looking after sick/disabled people to be able to attend these protests.

Family Carers in Clare have taken to the streets of Ennis to protest over cuts to their respite care grant in the budget.
    Up to 50 people marched through the town calling on the government to rethink the decision to cut 325 euro from their annual grant of 1700 euro.

http://clare.fm/news/clare-carers-protest-over-respite-cuts

buck65 wrote: »

oops sorry that mean to read and then to the clare people office!

Considering it was only decided to do it last night at 9pm from what I gather on FB, it was a great turnout!

Now, this is a fella we should back from our own county!

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandShirtsOffOurBackProtest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

maiden wrote: »
    12pm starting outside Clare Fm offices, going to Clare Champion office, then to Clare fm office

What's the point in going to these offices-I mean they will photograph and report on the protest anyway?
    Better to organize a silent protest outside the homes of government TDs.

• Advertisement

What's the point in going to these offices-I mean they will photograph and report on the protest anyway?
    I suppose for the same reason that people ring Joe Duffy, to highlight their cause and to embarrass the government into a U-turn. However, I can't see it happening on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

They did get mention on the 6pm RTE news .... so they were noticed ........

What a great idea, so when are you going to organise it?

I'd have no hesitation taking part in a protest to a TD's constituency office but not their private residence.

I'd have no hesitation taking part in a protest to a TD's constituency office but not their private residence.

I agree, I was being sarcastic above because I dont see anyone else doing anything, and these carers did something! In a short space of time they got media coverage, they left their houses, maybe having to get someone in to mind their parent, their kids etc and they were heard.
    Ok it mightnt have been huge but it was a start. I think its very easy to criticise someone from behind a computer and have ideas on what SHOULD be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Between pay cuts, tax increases and other levies their pay is probably back around 2006 levels as it is.

Between pay cuts, tax increases and other levies their pay is probably back around 2006 levels as it is.
    In 2006, Joan Burton and her cabinet colleagues were in Opposition so there is no way their salaries are back to 2006 levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

To justify it, I think we are all being hit-our homes and families.
    Consider the TDs- they have but tinkered with their expenses, and have left their over inflated salaries alone.
    If past TDs are anything to go by, their families benefit from patronage,political and business, which affords them opportunities the ordinary person has to strive to achieve. Are you aware that our Tanaiste's wife has already secured a government job http://www.independent.ie/national-news/eamon-gilmores-wife-moves-her-92000-job-to-ruairi-quinns-office-3300568.html
    How many TDs have succeeded to a family seat? Take the recent case of Jumior Minister Joe Costelloe's wife.http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310361516.html
    These people and their families are perpetually at the trough at OUR expense. I believe that should come at a price.

To justify it, I think we are all being hit-our homes and families.
    Consider the TDs- they have but tinkered with their expenses, and have left their over inflated salaries alone.
    If past TDs are anything to go by, their families benefit from patronage,political and business, which affords them opportunities the ordinary person has to strive to achieve. Are you aware that our Tanaiste's wife has already secured a government job http://www.independent.ie/national-news/eamon-gilmores-wife-moves-her-92000-job-to-ruairi-quinns-office-3300568.html
    How many TDs have succeeded to a family seat? Take the recent case of Jumior Minister Joe Costelloe's wife.http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0117/1224310361516.html
    These people and their families are perpetually at the trough at OUR expense. I believe that should come at a price.
    I would be totally opposed to marching on a TD's home, if someone wanted to raise a work related issue with me I'd expect to see them in my workplace not my home.

I'm aware of the Tanáiste's wife's appointment, I know if I was the Tanáiste's wife I wouldn't want the job because of how it could be perceived. I'd prefer to do my own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Whats worse this week they paid €63 Million to unsecured junior bondholders not covered by the bank guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

...and the good people of Clare will re-elect every single one of them.

In 2006, Joan Burton and her cabinet colleagues were in Opposition so there is no way their salaries are back to 2006 levels.

You said in your first post how would members of the dail feel if their salaries were pushed back to 2006 levels and I suspect they are close to that.

You are now referring to somebody who effectively got a promotion to try and justify your point.

ger664 wrote: »
    Whats worse this week they paid €63 Million to unsecured junior bondholders not covered by the bank guarantee.

What's wrong with paying back debts? How would you feel if you loaned money to somebody and they turn around and decide not to repay it just because the don't feel like it?

What's wrong with paying back debts? How would you feel if you loaned money to somebody and they turn around and decide not to repay it just because the don't feel like it?

Would you like to repay my gambling debts?

Would you like to repay my gambling debts?

Bank loans and gambling are not the same thing.

Bank loans and gambling are not the same thing.

In my world an unsecured loan IS a gamble.
    It receives a better interest rate because of this.

That someone else has to repay such loans is ... (lots of options here) ...

Debt should be paid if it can, but not when it means reducing respite for carers. How anyone can justify this as good for the country is beyond me. What kind of a society do we want to live in, the choice is ours. We need to make our voices heard and the time for passive protest has long since past.

You said in your first post how would members of the dail feel if their salaries were pushed back to 2006 levels and I suspect they are close to that.

You are now referring to somebody who effectively got a promotion to try and justify your point.
    You're not going to get too much sympathy over the issue of TD's pay and expenses. You do know that the average TD earns €92,672 and a Senator receives €65,621. Then there are expenses and allowances to be added on top of that. I think it's a pretty good salary, I don't know many who earn that kind of money. We're living in a broke country but yet we can afford to pay our Taoiseach more than Angle Merkel and David Cameron, it is a complete joke really.

Our TDs are amongst the best paid public representatives in the world, up until recently they had unvouched expenses, so basically they could claim what they wanted. I'm sure we aren't aware of the full extent of the allowances they receive but I'd say there is still a lot of fat there that could be trimmed. For example: Leaders allowances and Dublin TD's receiving payments of €15,000 to travel to work. TD's travelling over 360 km can claim €37,850.

TDs can also claim €15,000 - €25,000 to set up an office and €41,092 for secretarial assistance, I don't think anyone would have an issue with that, but how many of those positions are advertised? From what I can see many are given to family members or one of the TD's loyal supporters. I feel that all these positions should advertised.

Then you have a party whip allowance, I believe Fianna Fail pay their party whip €19,000, while the assistance party whip gets paid €9,500 :eek: I could go on about other allowances for sitting on committees and grants for a new mobile or iPad but I'll stop there.

If Ming Flanagan, who is married with a young family can give over half his net salary to local charities in his area, I'm sure our TD's could make further sacrifices. I wonder how many of our Clare TDs would donate a sizable part of their salary to a local charity, I live in hope.

ger664 wrote: »
    Debt should be paid if it can, but not when it means reducing respite for carers. How anyone can justify this as good for the country is beyond me. What kind of a society do we want to live in, the choice is ours. We need to make our voices heard and the time for passive protest has long since past.

They could reduce the dole by €1 instead of the respite grant, or added a cent to fuel or done a whole host of things. It's a bit simplistic to say that the cutting the respite care is linked to loan repayments.

• Advertisement

They could reduce the dole by €1 instead of the respite grant, or added a cent to fuel or done a whole host of things. It's a bit simplistic to say that the cutting the respite care is linked to loan repayments.

Taken for FG Election Manefesto.
    Agreed Procedures for Restructuring the Debts of Troubled Banks: Fine Gael in Government will force certain classes of bond-holders to share in the cost of recapitalising troubled financial institutions. This will be done unilaterally for the most junior bondholders (owners of preference shares, sub-ordinated debt and similar instruments), but could be extended – as part of a European-wide framework – for senior debt, focusing on insolvent institutions like Anglo Irish and Irish Nationwide that have no systemic importance.

This is the mandate we gave them. Bondholders where to share some of the pain. This is not the case, only the most vurnable in our society are been asked to share the cost of the mess we are in.

Advertisement