Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st semester question

Options
  • 07-12-2012 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi I'm just wondering if I fail a module or two in first semester will I have to repeat the whole year? as in do I flunk out?
    Had fairly bad medical troubles all semester and last week got a blood transfusion, due to this I've missed a few assesments and missed out on a lot of my project work. If I fail this semester do I still continue the college year or am I kicked out??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

AVA_Steve wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering if I fail a module or two in first semester will I have to repeat the whole year? as in do I flunk out?
    Had fairly bad medical troubles all semester and last week got a blood transfusion, due to this I've missed a few assesments and missed out on a lot of my project work. If I fail this semester do I still continue the college year or am I kicked out??

Depends on your college but normally if its all evidenced with medical certs then you can resit and not be capped at a pass. If not you can resit and be capped at a pass. (resits are normally in the summer)

If it's 1st year just pass it it wont effect your final grade.

Many medical problems get worse with disorganisation and booze. Increase one and decrease the other. I'll let you pick which.

In the words of Winston Churchill - Keep Buggering On. (KBO)

oh and speak to your tutors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AVA_Steve

well my medical problems are due to a congenital disorder and the fact I lost a lot of blood in a slip on the ice which led to me getting a rather large gash to my arm. thanks for the help so I can continue first year even with a fail in my first semester?

AVA_Steve wrote: »
    well my medical problems are due to a congenital disorder and the fact I lost a lot of blood in a slip on the ice which led to me getting a rather large gash to my arm. thanks for the help so I can continue first year even with a fail in my first semester?

Generally yes - but speak to your college.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If you have Medical Certs, you can apply for an i-Grade (at least that's what they're called in UL) for the modules you've failed. You'll be able to repeat these exams in the annual repeats, and they won't be capped at a C3.

If you don't have Certs (or if you aren't granted an i-Grade for whatever reason), and you fail 2 modules, you can repeat these in the annual repeats capped at a C3.

Depending on your course, your grades in 1st year won't count towards your degree, so even if they are capped it won't make a huge difference, except if your course has Work Placement or Erasmus.

If you fail modules this semester, you continue on and do the Spring Semester.

You might be better off asking in your college's forum as opposed to this general one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Just wondering if you the same subject at both Christmas and Summer do you have to repeat the year? :(

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you the same subject at both Christmas and Summer do you have to repeat the year? :(

It depends on your college / university. I think the HETAC rules (QQi or whatever it is now) allow for one module to be carried forward at the discretion of the institution. Why don't you ask someone at your college?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm in UL, failed two modules in second year (one in Sem 1 and one in Sem 2). I failed the repeat exams in August for both.

I'm currently redoing those modules on a link-in basis, whereby you have a year where you just do those modules and nothing else.

I highly doubt you'd have to repeat an entire year if you fail one subject, but you may have to repeat the module itself. In UL at least you can't have any F grades on your transcript if you want to progress.

Advertisement