Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Mk V Gearbox

Options
  • 07-12-2012 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi People,
    I own a 05 VW Golf mk V 1.4 Comfortline
    Two years ago I was told I would need a new gearbox. Thankfully no problems yet.

Just wondering does anyone know when it will need to be changed
    Ive only mostly urban miles done not much motorway miles
    Theres 130,000km on the clock. Had the gearbox oil changed a couple of months ago. An indy mechanic said this would help.

Its been a solid car for me so far only problem is the bad mpg and its seriously underpowered

I was quoted €1200 all in to get a new gearbox and labour from a vw dealer.
    Does this sound good????

Any help or even comments would be great....

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

I think Golf Mk V Gearbox would be a great addition as a new forum to boards. How about VW passat timing belt or even a ford focus headlight replacement forum?. Have a feeling they might take too many people away from the motors forum would be the only downside.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Its been a solid car for me so far only problem is the bad mpg and its seriously underpowered

I was quoted €1200 all in to get a new gearbox and labour from a vw dealer.
    Does this sound good????

Any help or even comments would be great....

Dan

1200 is very expensive. A friend of mine had his changed the other day. a 1.2 2010 polo at an indy garage for 900. I thought that was dear enough too.

If your sure it's the gearbox causing bad mpg and power change it. Gearboxes usually make odd noises or slip out of gear when there on their last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Two years ago I was told I would need a new gearbox. Thankfully no problems yet.

Had the gearbox oil changed a couple of months ago.

Just wondering does anyone know when it will need to be changed?
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

What sort of MPG are you getting? Has the car dropped down in power lately or was it always like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OP why did the mechanic say two years ago you would need a new gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Esel wrote: »
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If it's costing him 10/15 mpg it will pay for itself fairly quickly and possibly prevent further damage.

If it's costing him 10/15 mpg it will pay for itself fairly quickly and possibly prevent further damage.

It's not costing him 15 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Could it be possible the mechanic was touting? Naw, disregard, don't know what I was thinking.

Could it be possible the mechanic was touting? Naw, disregard, don't know what I was thinking.

That's what I was getting at without getting at it.

The amount of this going on is beyond belief.

Some fella's deserve a root where the sun don't shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 oconnelld17

I went in for a service and he rang me up after an hour saying something it would need to be changed

He told me the reason but to be honest all i could think about was the price

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oconnelld17

sean1141 wrote: »
    What sort of MPG are you getting? Has the car dropped down in power lately or was it always like that?

No the car was always underpowered. Nothing major.

I was just comparing it too A 03 Seat Ibiza 1.3 I had before the golf

That thing was a rocket!!!!!!!

As for the MPG I just assume the engine isnt powerful enough for the weight of the car.

Ring the mechanic and ask him to clarify what he said needs changing as a friend of yours is a mechanic and he said he would have a quick look at it.

Advertisement