Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Marksman Badge

Options
  • 07-12-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all long time background observer of this section, military enthusiast :P... first time poster ha....just wondering if anyone could share some light on what criteria is the marksman badge awarded?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You nned to reach a certain score on your annual range practice to be awarded the patch. AFAIK you can only officially hold the title for the calender year, so if you do not achieve the score next year....the badge has to come down.

This may well not be the case at all and just rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

benwavner wrote: »
    You nned to reach a certain score on your annual range practice to be awarded the patch. AFAIK you can only officially hold the title for the calender year, so if you do not achieve the score next year....the badge has to come down.

This may well not be the case at all and just rumours.

Any idea what the score is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Simona1986 wrote: »

It depends on the weapon, and the table fired.

Simona1986 wrote: »

Yes but I wont be announcing it here as I would have to list the whole scoring system which im sure you dont need to know.
    testicle wrote: »
    It depends on the weapon, and the table fired.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

There are 2 Marksman Badges

There is also the All-Army Marksman Badge which is presented to the individual winner of the All Army shooting competition yearly and it is for life.
    It is similar to the Standard Marksman's badge but in black and with a red surround.

For the marksman badge, each firing table will list the minimum qualifying score for the badge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 longfella14

ok guys thanks for the replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

It is used to be 85% of the highest possible score, have not looked at it in enough depth since they rejigged things a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

For the rifle its 181/194 for marksman qualification as far as i know. It used to be 154 I think.

John_D80 wrote: »
    For the rifle its 181/194 for marksman qualification as far as i know. It used to be 154 I think.
    Depend on RDF or PDF.

PDF have an easier table but have to do it wearing Body Armour and full kit.
    RDF Table is harder but no body armour or Helmet.

Was in the process of changing this year but all bets are off now with the re-org.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Depend on RDF or PDF.

PDF have an easier table but have to do it wearing Body Armour and full kit.
    RDF Table is harder but no body armour or Helmet.

Was in the process of changing this year but all bets are off now with the re-org.

Really?

When you say 'harder', what do you mean? I always thought it was the same qualification for everyone, PDF and RDF.

• Advertisement

I see no reason why the PDF / RDF should be scored differently. Is that on paper anywhere? I have never heard that mentioned before.

PDF Fire Table 8, RDF Fire Table 21. Check the manual. As I said, things were underway to change it but the re-org has happened.

When I say easier....it is subjective. ie. The RDF movement practice is done over 300ms, the PDF one is 200ms, making it look easier but add CBA and it is a very different story. Which would you rather - 200m run with just a rifle or a 100m run with full CBA, kit, rifle and helmet.

Doctor14 wrote: »
    PDF Fire Table 8, RDF Fire Table 21. Check the manual. As I said, things were underway to change it but the re-org has happened.

When I say easier....it is subjective. ie. The RDF movement practice is done over 300ms, the PDF one is 200ms, making it look easier but add CBA and it is a very different story. Which would you rather - 200m run with just a rifle or a 100m run with full CBA, kit, rifle and helmet.

Ah I will have a look on Monday. I didn't realise they shot a different Table.

Id rather 300m with full CBA. :P That CBA is the worst designed bit of issued kit IMO. There should be a contoured shoulder piece to enable a proper firing position. Even on an exercise when taking up a "proper aim" it is terrible.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 CDM001

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Do members of the RDF ever gets the marksmanship badge? I know 1 or 2 members of the RDF that have them on their uniforms but the badge is from time spent in the PDF (ARW) afaik.

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Do members of the RDF ever gets the marksmanship badge? I know 1 or 2 members of the RDF that have them on their uniforms but the badge is from time spent in the PDF (ARW) afaik.
    RDF get them as well - no difference. But they are only worn on No.1s
    Army Marksman Badge for winning the Army Army Individual, Normal Marksman Badge for marksman score in ARPs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Its harder because the RDF were being trained for the Zombie Apocalypse

RDF deployed would form an infantry square!

2 ranks deep,
    front rank (kneeling) fires until empty then reloads as rear rank (standing) now fires on the oncoming hordes...

We've been trained for headshots only as everybody knows that that's they only way to kill a Zombie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

ive got marksman twice, last two years running. everytime i mention the badge im literally blanked.

rdf get them my hoooole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

c-90 wrote: »
    ive got marksman twice, last two years running. everytime i mention the badge im literally blanked.

rdf get them my hoooole.

I believe the requirement is to get a markmans score in 3 consecutive ARP's. I still have mine from the FN - nobodies ever asked me to take it off. At a recent Pres GOH there was an individual with an All Army badge on his SD #1's, he was a relatively new fella. (Compared to me :)).

Ask your Cadre again.

Random Inf Cpl to the right with Markmans badge.

DSC_0187.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I believe the requirement is to get a markmans score in 3 consecutive ARP's.

Incorrect.

• Advertisement

Growler!!! wrote: »
    I believe the requirement is to get a markmans score in 3 consecutive ARP's. I still have mine from the FN - nobodies ever asked me to take it off.
    The requirement is marksman score in 1 ARP to wear it for 1 year (the normal marksman badge) and marksman score in subsequent years to wear it again. Just because no one has asked you to take it off doesn't mean you are entitled to wear it - assuming it is a normal badge and not the All Army one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Thanks doc.
    I wasn't aware it was only for 1 year. And i should really take it off my sd#1s but they rarely see the light of day, in fact i still have my old unit patch on them too as i wasn't issued a new one on transfer. A mute point now as the unit is gone:D

Advertisement