Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 8mb/s Contract Slow when D/Ling

Options
  • 06-12-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok, so basically as of late my downloading speeds went from average to horrible.
    I'm on the 8mb/s Eircom Deal and this is what it's coming up as:

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=121206072247-1347.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2356021592.png

pretty Normal, right? Well, the thing is when I actually start downloading something, be it direct or P2P, It's as if my connection is blocked to 600 Kb/s only. My dl speed never exceeded 600kb/s so far and this can get pretty annoying.

Well, since I'm no good at this, I was wondering if this is normal and if it's not, is it something on my part or perhaps the eircom users are actually being stalled.

I am using the lan cable to connect the modem to my PC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You do realise 600KB/s is 600 x 8 = 4.8mbits per second, not far off what speedtest says you're getting. There's 8 bits in a Byte

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dsulky

Well, I should have included this above but my friend has the same broadband and he is getting 800-900 kb/s sometimes over 1000...

dsulky wrote: »
    Well, I should have included this above but my friend has the same broadband and he is getting 800-900 kb/s sometimes over 1000...

What does his speedtest say? He may have a better line than you. Login to your router and post your dsl stats, and this will tell the quality of your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dsulky

His DL on speedtest is 5.6 Mb/s which is quite similar to mine.

dsulky wrote: »
    His DL on speedtest is 5.6 Mb/s which is quite similar to mine.

Well then whatever he's downloading with is not telling him the truth, 5.6mbit is 700KB/s (5600 divide by 8)

Go here and tell us what speed you both are getting after a minute or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement