Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irn Bru related Mac Book disaster

Options
  • 06-12-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

Was getting off the train today and noticed that the bottom of my bag was wet, turns out that a 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru burst at the bottom and soaked the contents of my bag. Had lots of clothes in there too which soaked up the majority but my mac book was in a soft case there too. The reason that I mention that it was Irn Bru specifically is because it is fairly sticky when spilled.

The bottom with the cd drive was a bit wet, wiped it down and (probably shouldn't have but wanted to check if it worked) powered it on, there's a disk now stuck inside than wont eject. It makes noises but doesn't come out and then runs as if it has just been inserted. I've since powered it off and am waiting to get home to put it in the hot press for the night.

Who should I bring this to to get checked out and cleaned? I bought it from apple (website) in October but have checked the website and as far as I can see they do not repair water damage. If I bring it anywhere else to get checked the limited warrantee that I do have is voided.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Bring it in to CompuB maybe? They are an official Apple reseller, but may be able o make a good suggestion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Was getting off the train today and noticed that the bottom of my bag was wet, turns out that a 2 litre bottle of Irn Bru burst at the bottom and soaked the contents of my bag. Had lots of clothes in there too which soaked up the majority but my mac book was in a soft case there too. The reason that I mention that it was Irn Bru specifically is because it is fairly sticky when spilled.

The bottom with the cd drive was a bit wet, wiped it down and (probably shouldn't have but wanted to check if it worked) powered it on, there's a disk now stuck inside than wont eject. It makes noises but doesn't come out and then runs as if it has just been inserted. I've since powered it off and am waiting to get home to put it in the hot press for the night.

Who should I bring this to to get checked out and cleaned? I bought it from apple (website) in October but have checked the website and as far as I can see they do not repair water damage. If I bring it anywhere else to get checked the limited warrantee that I do have is voided.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks in advance

After a spill like this forget your warranty anyway. Soft drinks like that are lethal for motherboards, connectors etc. They'll probably change the logic board, but I doubt they can give you a guarantee that it will always work perfectly afterwards. My wife's brand new HP had 7 up spilled on it, was sent back to HP for repair, but it never worked properly again, and was binned within 8 months. They would have been better off buying a new one, rather than repairing. Have you got it insured, or on the house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

whiterebel wrote: »

After a spill like this forget your warranty anyway. Soft drinks like that are lethal for motherboards, connectors etc. They'll probably change the logic board, but I doubt they can give you a guarantee that it will always work perfectly afterwards. My wife's brand new HP had 7 up spilled on it, was sent back to HP for repair, but it never worked properly again, and was binned within 8 months. They would have been better off buying a new one, rather than repairing. Have you got it insured, or on the house insurance?

I was lucky that it was vertical in my bag and I can see from the orange on my soft case where it was submerged to. Turned it upside down left it in the hot press for a day and a bit. The disk came out when I turned it on to take some college stuff off, it appears to be working perfectly grand. There was a bit of a sticky crunch when I pressed the power button, but it seems ok. It could have been a lot worse!

I've turned it back off just to make sure and will still bring it somewhere to get cleaned just to make certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

alot of circuitry by the power button. if it were the other side it would be alot better!

Advertisement